1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 12:14 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Custom Forecast W/ Running Total

J Workman

I've provided a dummy dataset to look for an answer to Tableau's limitation where if you are running a Quick Calculation, the Forecast option under Analysis --> Forecast is not available.

Let's pretend it's July 1, 2016 and I am looking at the attached twbx workbook which shows me my company membership growth (along with account open date) for the first 6 months of the year. How can I add a calculated field to the workbook which would allow me to forecast (and plot alongside, or at the end of my other data) what my month to month running totals for Jul-to Dec and my year-end numbers might be, based on the exact number of days which have elapsed year to date?

• 1. Re: Custom Forecast W/ Running Total
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello J,

Table Calculations are not supported for Forecasting.  In this case, I'm not sure that is what is desired either.   I think what is being sought is the number of members per month in the future.  We can use a count([Member id]) calculation on the Rows shelf and a Month (Open Date)  calculation on the Columns shelf to create a view that supports a forecast.  The forecast for this data shows 3 new members per month through the end of 2016. 

That forecast of 3 per month could be utilized in a new data source or the existing data source could be modified to include it. 

If the ability to do a forecast off of a Table Calculation is seen as a need however, please consider voting on this idea - https://community.tableau.com/ideas/2682  

Thank you

Patrick