6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 3:49 AM by Florian Rieger

Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields

Florian Rieger

My problem is, that I want to filter my data by user filters with an OR relation. Tableau does not refresh the query.

For example (with Superstore data) a user from Region "West" have to see only data rows for "West".

And a user from Category "Furniture" should only see data rows for "Furniture".

Everything is defined with tableau user groups on the server.

A user can also be in both groups. Therefore the user should see all rows from Region "West" or all rows from Category "Furniture".

If I drag both user filter sets into the canvas I receive an AND-Filtering, which means that the result of my example will be only the data for "West" and "Furniture"!

2016-12-27 12_51_38-Tableau - UserFilter.png

So the normal Set into Filter functionality won't work.

So I created a calculated field and used the user filter sets in there with an OR-Argument:

image.png

The result would be all the data which have Region "West" or Category "Furniture" in it.

I can drag that field to the filter shelf and filter to "TRUE".

Up to here, everything works fine!

BUT:

If that is done, I switch to another User (in Tableau Desktop) and nothing happens. I still see the results for my previous user. Only after I press F5 and refresh the view.

2016-12-27 12_53_31-Tableau - UserFilter.png

Also when I publish the workbook to the server my view appears with the settings of that user who uploads the workbook.

This means that the user filter sets can not be used inside the calculated fields.

Therefore I needed to created a calculated field with all the conditions for all the fields... (that's very annoying)

image (1).png

Did anybody have the same issues? For me it looks more like a bug than a feature request!

Or am I doing something wrong?!

I have the workbook appended, but without user settings on server you won't be use the user filter functionality.

• 1. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields

Hey Florian,

This is a tricky issue because it feels to me as being on the cusp of being a bug or a feature request. Really, the crux of the issue is that we want the refresh to happen automatically upon choosing a different user right? That sounds like a feature request because I don't think there's the expectation that user filters would work that way (even though it undermines other parts of the feature). Overall, I would take this question to our support team as they'll be able to tell you if this is expected behavior or not.

tableau.com/support/request

-Diego

• 2. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields
            Florian Rieger

Hi Diego,

thanks for your answer!

I am still wondering about this issue, because if this is not a bug, why is it possible to drag and drop the user-filter sets into the calclulations and use them there?!

What kind of use case would that fulfill?

But anyway... It would be great if this can be fix very soon. The workaround is really annoying.

-Florian

• 3. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields
              Martin Lenke

Hi Diego,

I do have the same issue as Florian,

I do not quite get why Tableau does not refresh it automatically. As long as there is just one User filter used (e.g.: Category) it is possible to just drag the set onto the filter shelf and it updates automatically when a new user signs is. So updating based on a user does not seem the origin on this issue. The problem occurs in the calculated field (which is need, when I want to filter over multiple dimensions).

How is the best person to talk to at Tableau to fix this problem?

Kind regards,

Martin

• 4. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields
                Georg Bjoernsen

Hi,

same problem for me.

I want to create a user filter accross different dimensions. As Florian describe, I want also an OR-relation between the dimensions on the Filters.

So I thought I could create a calculated field and bring in [User Filter 1 Set] OR [User Filter 2 Set] and set up this new field on filters with selecting TRUE.

But when I change to other Users on Tableau Server, they see nothing...

For me it sounds like a Bug, not a feature request!

@Tableau: Could you please fix that?!

• 5. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields
                  Martin Lenke

For me I found a workaround.

Create a calclulated field (I name it "Userfilter combined") with all the different dimensions you want to filter for. In the example above it would be:

[Category] + "-" + [Region]   

(I like the dash to seperate the fields)

Then create a user filter for the "Userfilter combined" dimension.

To process to assign the filters for the users is fairly easy.

Hope that helps you all.

Best

• 6. Re: Issue with using User Filter Sets in Calculated Fields
                    Florian Rieger

Hi,

yes, that would also be a solution.

Thanks!