4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 10:55 AM by Yu Su

Issue: Cannot auto-refresh workbook in Tableau Server

Timo Rietveld

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue regarding auto-refreshing a workbook in Tableau Online.

I have a Tableau workbook (.twb) with as data-source an Excel file stored locally on my laptop. The data-source has an Extract Connection.

When I publish the workbook to Tableau Server (see also attached the screenshot 'Issue-Tableau-Publishing-Complete'), I'd like to auto-refresh both the data-source and the data in the workbook every hour. So when I open the workbook all data should be refreshed. The data-source is published separately from the workbook, otherwise I can't use the Tableau Online Sync Client.

So I use the Tableau Online Sync Client to auto-refresh the data-source (see also attached the screenshot 'Issue-Tableau-Workbook-Scheduling-AutoRefresh-Data-Source'), and this works perfectly for the data-source itself. See for the settings also attached the screenshots 'Issue-Tableau-DataSource-Settings-Connections-Tab' and 'Issue-Tableau-DataSource-Settings-RefreshSchedules-Tab'.

However, the issue is that I can't auto refresh the workbook itself (see also attached the screenshot 'Issue-Tableau-Workbook-Settings-No-AutoRefresh' where it can be seen there is no tab like 'Refresh Schedules'). The only thing I can do is opening the workbook, and manually click on 'Refresh' (see also attached the screenshot 'Issue-Tableau-Workbook-Manual-Refresh'), which works; changes in the data-source are coming through in the data in the workbook. However, this is just a manual method. Auto-refresh is of course preferred. Note that the data in the workbook is NOT updated/refreshed automatically if the data-source is refreshed.

Troubleshooting:

- I also tried to switch to a Live Connection with the local Excel file (set from Tableau Desktop), but the issue remains.

- I also tried to publish the workbook and data-source together. However, then I can't use the Tableau Online Sync Client anymore. Setting auto-refreshment doesn't work.

Anyone who knows how to fix the issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Timo Rietveld (NL)

• 1. Re: Issue: Cannot auto-refresh workbook in Tableau Server
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Timo,

You wrote "I'd like to auto-refresh both the data-source and the data in the workbook every hour. So when I open the workbook all data should be refreshed. The data-source is published separately from the workbook, otherwise I can't use the Tableau Online Sync Client." That first sentence doesn't quite make sense, from the rest of the description it seems like you have one actual set of data, is that correct? In that case you need to make sure that all the worksheets in your workbook are using the published data source (the one you published and are using the sync client for that has the Tableau icon), *not* the local connection to the file. Where you have two data sources I'm wondering if some things got messed up along the way. The way Tableau handles file-based data sources & Tableau Server/Online is more confusing than it could be, I've certainly made a lot of fumbles working with them.

Here's something to try (from scratch).

1. Start up a new Tableau workbook.

2. Connect to the Excel file.

3. Create an extract of it.

4. Right click on the data source and publish it. Tableau's default is to update the workbook to use the published data source, leave that in place. See Publish a Data Source for details. There should be only one entry in the Data window for the published data source.

5. Set up the Tableau Online Sync client per the instructions in Quick Start: Use Tableau Online Sync .

6. Build worksheets that use the published data source. 

7. Publish the workbook.

8. Update or add one or more rows in an Excel file that would be visible in one of the views that you publish.

9. Wait for the extract refresh.

10. Use Tableau Server to monitor whether the extract has refreshed.

11. Browse to the workbook. Hopefully you'll see the refreshed data.

12. If you don't see refreshed data then do the following:

a) Create a new Tableau workbook.

b) Connect to the published data source from step #4.

c) Create a worksheet that will enable you to see whether the data has been updated or not. If the data *doesn't* show the update you made in step #8 then something failed with extract refresh process. If the data *does* show the update you made in step #8 then it's likely a caching issue that would require further investigation.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Issue: Cannot auto-refresh workbook in Tableau Server
            Timo Rietveld

@Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks for your reply with detailed info.

Yes, the source of the data is just 1 very simple Excel file. See attached the packaged workbook (so with data source included).

What I did (as detailed as I can):

1. In a new Tableau file, I imported the Excel data from the Excel file. This is the only data source I use.

2. I save the workbook as a .twbx.

3. The data connection is still a live connection. Now, I switch to 'Extract'.

4. I click on 'Save'. Now, I get the screen as displayed in scr1. I click on 'Create extract'.

5. Note that in the 'Data Source' sheet, I CANNOT publish the data source yet. This is still on the Data Source sheet. See scr2.

6. Now, I click to 'Sheet1', and create the situation as displayed in scr3.

7. I right-click on the data source, and click on 'Publish to Server'. See also scr4. See also scr5 for the settings, and scr6 for the confirmation message.

8. I set schedule for the Extract Refresh, see scr7. Every 15 minutes the data source is refreshed. See also scr8 and scr9 for confirmation of the settings. It can also be seen in scr8 that there is no connection yet to any workbook (as the workbook is not published yet).

9. Now, I also publish the workbook, see scr10 and scr11 for the settings. See scr12 for the confirmation that it is successfully published, and scr13 for the settings on Tableau Server. Now, it can be seen that the workbook is connected to the data-source as published earlier. Note that this is a 'live' connection as is displayed in scr13 (on Tableau Server, in the Data Source as specified in step 7 above, I now see in the sheet 'Connected Workbooks' that the workbook is connected to this data source, see scr14). See also scr14b to see how 'Sheet1' of the workbook looks like.

10. In the Excel file which is connected to the workbook (see also step 1 above), I now make a change. See scr15 ('old situation') and scr16 ('new situation'). The changes (col 'Metric1') should affect the data displayed in 'Sheet1' of the Tableau Workbook, as Metric1 is displayed in Sheet1 (see also scr3)

11. I wait a while, about 1 hr. See scr17 for how the situation looks like after the 'waiting'. The data seems to have been refreshed successfully (see column 'Last update'; compare this also with scr8 (comes from step 8 above).

12. I click to the data in the workbook. See also scr18 to see how 'Sheet1' of the workbook looks like. The data is still not updated in the workbook unfortunately.

13. Now, when I click on 'Refresh' (see scr19), the data is refreshed (see scr20). This indicates that the connection itself is working.

I hope this provides more insights in what I've done. So the issue is still there.

• 4. Re: Issue: Cannot auto-refresh workbook in Tableau Server
              Yu Su

Hi Timo,

I am experiencing a similar issue and was wondering if you have had a solution for your question. The only differences are I connected my workbook to a SQL database and published it on tableau server. When the published data source refreshes, the workbook it connected to does not auto refresh, and I have to manually click on Refresh button to see the updated data. Thank you!

Yu Su