1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 10:51 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Insert new layout container below existing

mark.welsh

I have a vertical layout container (parent) that contains two additional vertical layout containers (children).  Each child container contains a view.  I want to insert a view into the bottom of the parent container that will only exist in the parent (and stretch across both children), but when I try it will only either add to one of each children or to the main dashboard container which would make it stretch across the entire bottom of dashboard, but I only want it in the parent container.

Pictured below is the parent container highlighted blue and the dotted line separates the children containers within.  The red arrow is where I want to insert a vertical container.  If I could move the child containers up then maybe I would have space to insert another.

Edit: Or if I could move the parent up.  Basically I want to insert a new vertical container below the parent that doesn't extend across the entire bottom of dashboard, but is instead contained within the same area as the parent.....

Edit 2: A better question might be - How do I separate 1 from 2, so that I can adjust height of 1 without affecting height of 2:

• 1. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
          Matthew Risley

Mark,

This is why planning is so important when it comes to tiling. In order to separate 1 from two, you have to add those inside a separate tile, each.

I know this is not answering your question... but... I've switched to the dark side and started using floating objects. Quite frankly, it's just 100% easier. Give it a shot and you may never use tiling again

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
            Shinichiro Murakami

Mark,

Please attach packaged workbook.

Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

Thanks,

Shin

• 3. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
              mark.welsh

Thanks Matthew. 

I've got them in separate containers that are both located in the main dashboard container, but I'm afraid I don't see how to separate them?

• 4. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                mark.welsh

Thanks Shin.  Sometimes a workbook is not necessary and causes a lot of undue work.  So then what's the balance between spending that time creating a packaged workbook vs. asking the question without?  Unfortunately it's a big grey line and each case is different.  If this can't be resolved without one I'll gladly create!

• 5. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                  Matthew Risley

It's hard to see without it in front of me, but try adding a "blank" under the one you want to size. So that you can size one and not the either by using the blank.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                    mark.welsh

Yeah, I'll post a workbook when I have time.  For now, when I insert a blank one (#3) it just adjusts and then I can't separate 1 from 3.  Just need a way to obliterate the red line.  I've tried everything besides starting from scratch.

• 7. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                      mark.welsh

Finally got it.  Just needed to add a new horizontal container to left of dashboard and insert everything in there....something like that.

Thanks for the help!

• 8. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                        Matthew Risley

Great!

Make sure to mark your own post as answered so others know! Happy Tableau-ing!

• 9. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                          Shinichiro Murakami

I strongly disagree.

Answerer are spending much time to try understanding questions in the case there is not packaged workbook. Or creating mock up data and file.

Please remember, most of the answerer are 100% volunteer.

We are actually really frustrated the question without packaged workbook.

To be honest, I'm feeling really bad for your comment.

Thanks,

Shin

• 10. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                            mark.welsh

Hi Shin,

I also strongly disagree.  Not every question submitted needs an accompanying workbook.  If the responder spends an acceptable amount of time attempting to answer a question and then realizes they need a workbook it's quite easy to ask.  It's up to the submitter to understand if their request is complicated enough that a workbook will be required, and it's up to the responder to decide if they will pull their hair out trying to answer a question without a workbook.  In fact, we could probably create a nice visual diagram/flowchart to illustrate this process. 

So, essentially it's a two way street in which each responder and submitter has differing ideas and therefore must work together to find a solution to each different case. 

Submitter - do your best to understand whether or not workbook is required.  Offer to post one if needed.

Responder - don't spend an unnecessary amount of time on a request that you need a workbook to solve.  Don't hesitate to ask for one.

• 11. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                              Shinichiro Murakami

Mark,

I don't want to debate here, but could you please read the link at least.

Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

Thanks,

Shin

• 12. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                                mark.welsh

It's a well written well thought out article.  The ultimate solution to this problem is to not answer or respond to questions when a workbook is not present.  Until that happens, the current paradigm will continue. 

• 13. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                                  Shinichiro Murakami

Mark,

Thank you for reading thru the document.  I appreciate it.

Tableau / Community already start working to improve this.

But at this point, many regular answerer are feeling exhausted to ask the same request 100 times.

Hope you understand the situation and support the good communications.

Thanks,

Shin

• 14. Re: Insert new layout container below existing
                                    Toby Erkson

Toby's "SQUIRREL!" side note

mark welsh wrote:

Submitter - do your best to understand whether or not workbook is required.  Offer to post one if needed.

Responder - don't spend an unnecessary amount of time on a request that you need a workbook to solve.  Don't hesitate to ask for one.

Mark, I understand where you're coming from but I'll tell you that your are the exception...by a huge margin!  Let me provide some insight about our community so you and others will understand where we're coming from...

Regarding Submitter:  Most people provide very little information and rarely provide the necessary workbook so it makes our task of helping a little more time consuming and, naturally, causes a delay for the questioner.  Many questions are from beginners and they don't have the knowledge to know if a workbook is needed or not which is why it's best to include one any way.  Also, sometimes it may appear that a workbook is not necessary when it really is; this even happens to intermediate-level users.

Regarding Responder:  Uhm...Shin did ask for one and you rebutted!   Aside from that, when one has to ask for a workbook...yet again for the X billionth time!...it gets really old, really fast.  Stick around and try and answer as many questions as you can and you'll see i.e. walk a couple miles in our shoes   As a side note, the Tableau Community Staff are doing a good job at helping steer questioners to providing a workbook.

What you currently see here isn't how the forums started.  They have been morphing over time based on feedback from the community as a whole and by us Ambassadors (cuz we spend too much time here ).  We go over the pros and cons for changes to these forums and the Tableau Community staff implements them (assuming the software can do it).  What you see here is an evolutionary creature, not the original species, and it continues to change with the goal to help questions get answers.  That's pretty **** cool.

mark welsh wrote:

The ultimate solution to this problem is to not answer or respond to questions when a workbook is not present.

Actually that is completely untrue.  That leaves questioners in the dark, wondering why they didn't get their question answered.  It certainly doesn't provide a warm-fuzzy feeling of a helpful community and seriously degrades the overall helpfulness of a support forum.  In fact, it is so important to not have questions go unresponded to that we even have a location called the Crow's Nest (not sure who can see it) where its purpose is to expose questions without responses so we can go to the post and let the questioner know someone did in fact see their post and what they may need to do or answer to get more responses that will hopefully lead to an answer.  This is freaking HUGE and I know of no other forum that does this -- I'm in many forums, past (over 20 years) and present, so am quite experienced in this area.

(Yes, it's a Tableau viz )

This demonstrates how much Tableau actually cares, and how we care, about helping others in trying to answer their questions

What the Tableau community forums has is a unique paradigm compared to any other help forums out there.  Period.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next