1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2016 4:25 PM by Santiago Sanchez

How to create a bubble map with strings

Ravi Dawar

Hi,

I am using Tableau public and I have data that consists of company name, location, sales and the products the company makes. E.g. Magna international makes "Body, chassis, exterior, seating, powertrain, electronic, vision, closure & roof systems & modules". I have 100 companies in my data and I plotted all of them on a map. Here is the location of the dashboard -

https://public.tableau.com/profile/publish/NorthAmericanAutomotiveSuppliers/Dashboard1#!/publish-confirm

As you hover over one of the dots, you can see the name of the company, sales and all the products the company makes.

What I am looking to create is kind of a bubble map that will show all the products these companies make and the biggest bubble will correspond to the part made most by these companies. Upon clicking the bubble e.g. If I click Powertrain, the map will show me only the companies making power train.

• 1. Re: How to create a bubble map with strings
          Santiago Sanchez

Hi Ravi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with this statement: "the biggest bubble will correspond to the part made most by these companies"? Your data set doesn't seem to have details about the quantities produced for every product, rather it only shows the quantities produced for every company (there are not enough details). So, I'm taking a wild guess here in saying that you want to size the bubble by the number of companies producing certain product. Can you confirm that's the case?

The solution will likely involve re-shaping the data either way. You'd need to add details by product (more rows) or to have a column for each product (that you can then pivot and count the number of companies producing a product). An example for the second option is attached.

How to Pivot:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Santiago