3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 9:53 AM by Brendan Lee

whitelist Webdatconnector folder or folder structure in webdataconnector folder?

jens.bruckmann

Hi all,

I have to create a lot of webdataconnectors to tableau (I think at the end I talking about hundreds) and when I import them they all imported to the folder \ProgramData\... \Webdataconnectors.

As you can imagine the structure behind is then not workable behind. So I have the idea to create a folder structure behind.

Now the question:

1. When I have an own webserver with a mainfolder and subfolders is it possible to whitelist the mainfolder and autmoatically all subfolders and the connecters within the subfolders are included in the whitelist?

2. If the first is not possible can I create a folder structure in the webdataconnector folder and import the Connectors then in the correct folder?

Thanks for the answers

• 1. Re: whitelist Webdatconnector folder or folder structure in webdataconnector folder?
          Brendan Lee

Unfortunately, this isn't possible with our current feature set, you would need to add an entry for each connector.  This is a great feature request though! We will consider it for a future release.

Is building a hundred connectors necessary? Is there a way you could use a single connector as a launch point that was able to connect to a hundred different endpoints?

• 2. Re: whitelist Webdatconnector folder or folder structure in webdataconnector folder?
            jens.bruckmann

Hi Brendan,

Sorry to hear it is not possible as this would make my life much more easier.

I just checked once again all files but I really need to create a lot of webdataconnecters. The reason why is very simple. the column names are the same, but for different topics

as an example I am measuring the CPU Load and the total disk disk space.

both fields have the column name total, but for CPU Load it is in % and for the disk space it is in bit. So I have to separte this and the only chance is to create different connecotrs to get the correct value in the correct field.

I mean I can build 1 html document to get the connectors but at the end each js need to be uploaded and whitelisted or imported,too.

But maybe you know a way how I can whitelist without restarting the server all time?

• 3. Re: whitelist Webdatconnector folder or folder structure in webdataconnector folder?
              Brendan Lee

I think your scenario is still doable with a single connector.  What I would suggest is have a single connector that has a UI that let's the user choose the data set they are interested in.  There could be a dropdown that lets the user select the dataset they want to connect to.

Then, within your connector, you can send back the correct data based don the dataset chosen by the user.

For example, if the user selects the CPU Load dataset from the dropdown, your getSchema method would send back the schema with 'total' as a percentage.  If they chose the total disk space dataset, your schema would send back 'total' in bit.  You can have completely different schemas with differing column names as well.

Then, you can use the selected table to hit the correct API endpoint in your getData method.