11 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 8:45 AM by Yuriy Fal Branched to a new discussion.

Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard

Jed Eastman

I'm working with survey data and would like to create a view that shows the distribution of responses for multiple questions (1 chart per question) and allows the user to select on one or more charts to filter the remaining charts to see how those respondents answered the other questions in the survey. The data in all charts is also bifurcated by a 2nd dimension (same for all charts).

Created a sample workbook (Tableau 10.1.1) using dummy data as the data I'm working with is confidential (packaged workbook and data attached).

Below are screen shots and a walk-through of my issue. FYI I've used "distant count" in my sample workbook because, while there are no repeating participant IDs in my dummy data, that is an issue in my real data.

Here's the entire data set, no action selected.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 1.27.41 PM.png

When only one chart is selected, the dashboard action is functioning as expected (see screen shot below). 4 female respondents said the Indians were their favorite MLB team and the NBA and NFL charts are filtered to show only the results for those 4 females.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 1.14.36 PM.png

The problem I'm having is when a 2nd chart is selected (see screen shot below). I would like the NFL chart to show only Female respondents that said the Indians were their favorite MLB team AND the Spurs were their favorite NBA team. Instead it looks like the MLB and NFL chart are now being filtered by ONLY the NBA chart (the original MLB selection is being dis-regarded).

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 1.17.06 PM.png

When the 2nd dimension (male/female) is removed, the multiple actions are functioning properly (see screen shot below), so it appears this 2nd dimension is causing the problem, but I'm not sure.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 1.31.18 PM.png

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
          Simon Runc

hi Jed,

So I think the issue here is that you have set up the actions using Tableau's "Use as Filter" quick select. If you go into Dashboard Actions you'll see the ones Tableau has generated (from this Quick-setup)

This is fine, most of the time, but Tableau does just set them up to send every dimension to every Viz.

If you want more fine-grained control you can amend these actions to tune their behaviour.

So for the first one, I've changed the behaviour to this

So now this will only send the *** and MBL dimension from MBL to the other 2 vizes

The second one I've now set up like this

So this now just sends the NBA dimension to the NFL Viz (no need to send *** as this was already sent from MBL), and I've unticked MLB from the list of Targets, so this action is now not sent back up to the MBL Viz)

I've then removed the 3rd one.

I may not have fully understood the behaviour you want, but hopefully you can follow this logic to get the fine-tuned behaviour you need

Hope that helps, but let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

• 2. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
            Jed Eastman

Thanks for the reply Simon. This approach works to filter the NFL chart by the MLB and NBA charts. Unfortunately, I need to be able to use any of the three charts as a filter (i.e. filter MLB by NFL & NBA or NBA by NFL & MLB). In order to do this I need to include *** as a target filter field in all three actions and once I do this, the desired functionality breaks down. Not sure if this one is solvable, but if you (or anyone else) has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
              Simon Runc

hi Jed,

Oh I see...I do have a solution for you, but it's pretty complicated (as you can imagine to get such bespoke behaviour). I'll do my best to explain how I've done this!

So first I realised that depending on where we start (MLB, NFL, NBA) we need the subsequent viz's to behave differently...So if we start at NBA...we want different behaviour when we then click on NFL, say, than if we started there!

So for each sheet, I created a second version. One for where you start, and one for if you didn't start there (if that makes sense?). And I want the correct version to switch in and out, depending on where we start.

So I created the following calculations....

[Total Participants - LoD]

{COUNTD([Participant])}

As a LoD this will alway be (regardless of filtering) the total number of participants

[Total Participants - Table Calc]

TOTAL(COUNTD([Participant]))

As a Table Calc this will be the total number of participants but is affected by filters (of which Actions are just a filter)...btw this is set up as

[Filter on All or Filtered]

SUM([Total Participants - LoD]) = [Total Participants - Table Calc]

So this returns true if the viz is unfiltered, or false if it is. By adding this, set to True for Starting Sheet (ALL), and False for the filtered version, we get the effect that if we start on NBA, say, NBA uses it's "ALL" version, and the other 2 use the "Filtered" versions (I've also left the titles in the sheets, so you can see them on the dashboard, and see what's happening...in your final version remove these, and the sheets will fully collapse). Once we have this, I can then send different actions from the ALL versions and the Filtered versions, depending on what we started on

This did also created another problem...When we start with, say, NBA...we are then using the filtered version of MLB and NFL...and as actions from these need to be sent to NBA Filtered too (as we need this action set for when we don't start with NBA) that triggers the Filtered version of NBA to appear (so we end up with both the ALL and Filtered version of NBA)...so I created some "kill" actions. All these do is to fully "kill" the NBA Filtered sheet, if we start with NBA All. I've done this by sending a "fake" action of 1 = 0 (if you look here this technique is explained Sheet Swap with Action Filters...the simple version! )

I appreciate this is pretty complicated...and my explanation is probably "as clear as mud"!! so might be easier to follow through one of the flows.

I click on NBA ALL (for Female, Indian Supporters) - This sends the "kill" action to NBA Filter, meaning it can never show (whatever subsequent filtering is applied). It also sends these Dims to the MBL and NFL (both ALL and Filtered). Now in the ALL version [Filter on All or Filtered] = FALSE, so they vanish and the Filtered versions appear.

Next, by clicking on NBA Spurs (from the Filtered version)...The NBA Filter does get this action, but the "kill" means it stays hidden. The Spur is sent to NFL Filtered (and it already had the female from the previous action).

Next, I click out of the original selection....all the filters get cleared, and now only 3 ALL versions show, ready for the next go.

I hope this helps and makes (some) sense. I find that Tableau is a tool, where the things most of us want to do 90% of the time is really quick/easy, and the bespoke 10% a bit trickier...and happy it's this way round!!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                Jed Eastman

This is really impressive work Simon. Thank you! And your explanation was very clear and easy to follow. This gets me SO close to where I need to be. One more complication. Using your flow example, when I click on NBA Spurs (after clicking on MLB Female Indian supporters), I actually need that 2nd selection to filter back to the MLB sheet as well as to the NFL sheet (see attached Dashboard 2 where the *** dimension is removed, this is how I'm hoping to get Dashboard 1 to function). I tried removing the "kill" actions to see if that would do the trick, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

I should say that, in addition to your responses teaching me a great deal about some really cool functionality, I think it's also shown me that the approach to this viz that my clients are asking for is clearly not the right way to go. It's just too complicated. So if you feel like throwing your hands up in the air I totally understand. You've already gone above and beyond!

That said, if you feel like trying to solve this ever-more-complicated problem, I'm all ears!

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                  Simon Runc

hi Jed,

Cool and glad it made sense...I have exactly the same kind of requirements with our clients, especially on Filters with a Hierarchy...

Client: So we'd like to select a Category in the Category Filter, and have the SubCategory filter to only show values for that Category

Me: Yes we can do that, makes sense.

Client: But we also want that if we select a subcategory that only those categories appear in the Category filter

Me: So what if you choose a Category, and then a SubCategory...but then want to filter on a different category, that category won't be in the list (unless you clear the subCategory filter)

Client: Well, in that case, we'd want the Category filter to have all the categories in it's list

Me: So depending on what you want to do, you'd like the same object to behave 2 different ways

Client: Yes

Me: So you want Tableau to read you mind?

Client: Yes

Me: ...I think that's coming in V12.0

As you can see...I always enjoy a challenge, so I'll take a look at that extra requirement over Xmas (...gotta get some pesky Xmas human interactions out the way first!!). I think I might be able to do it by sending a "un-kill" (maybe I should call it a "resurrect" action) when we click on the second one, or (and hopefully not) require another set of 3 sheets. Another option, might be to use a parameter so the user selects the "Starting" sheet (might be worth running that by them...as even if we get this all working it will need to be used in a very specific way...eg. not tried it, but not sure what would happen if after the first 2 clicks you then clicked on the 3rd sheet...or tried to start again without first clearing the initial selection)

No guarantees but I'll have a play and let you know how I get on.

• 6. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                    Yuriy Fal

Hi guys,

As Jed said, if the problem lies in having [***] in every Filter Action,

then the solution would be for every team Favs to have their own [***] :-)

Please find the attached.

Does the behaviour look like

what you're expected to have?

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                      Joe Oppelt

Yuriy Fal wrote:

Hi guys,

As Jed said, if the problem lies in having [***] in every Filter Action,

Doesn't that get tiring? 

• 8. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                        Simon Runc

Hi Yuri...thought I'd try a whole 4 days Tableau free (...the shakes started to appear in day 2!!)

Yes, very nice solution...and much simpler to follow than my sheet-swap/brain-hurting version!!

• 9. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                          Jed Eastman

Works wonderfully. Thanks Yuri and Simon for the help!

• 10. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                            Ian Johnson

Hey, I am having the same issue as Jed, however, I'm on a slightly older version of Tableau and I cannot open that workbook.  Is this something you can briefly explain so I can see if it works for me?

• 11. Re: Using multiple actions on multiple dimensions in same dashboard
                              Yuriy Fal

Hi Ian,

Please find the attached

version 9.3 of the workbook.

Hope it could help.

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful