4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2016 7:57 AM by Rob Kime

Can't see option for table down

Rob Kime

Why don't I get an option to run the table calculation from one pane to the next? Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Can't see option for table down
          Joe Oppelt

There is no DOWN on that sheet.

But actually your question does apply at times.  I don't know why I don't always get TABLE(down) when it is plainly a logical choice (to me).  But sometimes it's just not there.

But you can still force it to do that by going into advanced table calc settings.  In your screen shot, two options below the "Compute Using" selection you are using, is "Edit Table Calculation".  You can tell it which specific dimension(s) to run along, and force it to "walk" the table as if you could have told it to do Table(down).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't see option for table down
            Rob Kime

Joe,

I am grateful for your insight. Thanks for your time! Help me understand why there is no DOWN on the sheet. I want the difference to be the difference between Sales and Profit . . . How would I set that up?

Rob

• 3. Re: Can't see option for table down
              Joe Oppelt

TABLE(down) is valid if you are running a measure (ONE measure or one calc or one table calc) along a dimension that is running down in the table.  You don't have that.  Sales and (the second measure) are not the same measure.

So the [Profit] quick table calc you made is not what you are looking for.  If you want the difference of sales vs profits, just do an aggregate calc like I did in Calculation2 on sheet 1.

And, in fact, you don't have to have SUM(Profits) on the sheer for that calc to work.  See Sheet2.

To explain what TABLE(down) and TABLE (across) do for you, see Sheet3.  I have added a table calc that does the sum of the sums of sales.  It's displayed in the tooltips.  By default, Tableau usually does TABLE(across) when you add a table calc in a viz like this.  But as it is set up now, it is adding up that one measure (sum(sales)) across the sheet.  So you're getting the sum of the sums along the date axis.  It ends up being the sum for any region.  You'll see that as you hover along the sales line.

In Sheet 4 I changed it to table down.  Now Tableau is summing the sum of sales DOWN the region axis.  You'll see that the value in the tooltip is the same as the value from Sheet 1 for each month.  you can do the same exercise summing up the difference calc (Calc2).

See attached.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't see option for table down
                Rob Kime

Joe,

Thanks again for taking time! Very helpful. The key for me was understanding the need for a dimension that runs down the table.

Rob