4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 6:59 AM by Toby Erkson

More documentation frustration

Toby Erkson

I tried to answer the last question in this topic because I figured it was due to the version:  Tableau Desktop silent installation - user information screen

I could not find the knowledge base article I needed!  Every link I thought was the correct KB article put me into the latest version of the online user manual documentation, NOT THE KB ARTICLE!

After fruitless searching I performed this search:  Support | Tableau Software

I got 3 results.  The first one looked EXACTLY like the one I wanted:

I clicked on the title and it took me to...the online manual, not the KB article   The online maunal has NONE of the summary text displayed!  If you open the link into a new tab you'll see that it briefly goes to the KB article but then immediately gets redirected.  Booooooo!   Don't tell me it's in the KB if it's really NOT!  (Support > Knowledge Base).  This is really frustrating!!!  What's also frustrating is that the display search result text is for the KB article and it's NOT in the online documentation!  C'mon!  That's false advertising and misdirection

Speaking of frustrating, I am not liking this movement or auto-direction of KB articles to the current online manuals.  The KB articles are needed for those who don't have installations that are current.  The KB articles are also useful in the fact that they present this:

Specific information about the article itself, something the current online manuals do not have!

OMG the documentation team is killing me!

• 1. Re: More documentation frustration
          Alina Koldin

Dear Toby,

I'm very sorry about your frustration.

A couple of things:

• We are redirecting some of the content in the KB to Help when the Help contains more up-to-date information. It seems, however, that you are looking for the content about older versions. Could you please confirm?
          • If we're missing the information you were looking for in the Help, and it is not related to prior versions, please click No at the top of the topic and leave us a comment about what specifically is missing. We are always listening and want to help make your life easier, not harder.
          • We are in the process of removing links to redirected KBs from the index, so they won't show up in the Knowledge Base search in the future.

In the meantime, in case this unblocks you, I am attaching the archived KB article.

Cheers,

Alina

• 2. Re: More documentation frustration
            Toby Erkson

Alina Koldin wrote:

A couple of things:

• We are redirecting some of the content in the KB to Help when the Help contains more up-to-date information. It seems, however, that you are looking for the content about older versions. Could you please confirm?

Correct.

Alina Koldin wrote:

• If we're missing the information you were looking for in the Help, and it is not related to prior versions, please click No at the top of the topic and leave us a comment about what specifically is missing. We are always listening and want to help make your life easier, not harder.

Ok but I was looking for prior version information.  Prior version documentation -- forum posts, user manuals, and KB articles -- is a necessity and shouldn't be quickly removed.  It's particularly frustrating when you've worked with a document, know what it looks like, and have a good idea where it is, and then suddenly one day it's gone

Alina Koldin wrote:

• We are in the process of removing links to redirected KBs from the index, so they won't show up in the Knowledge Base search in the future.

In the meantime, in case this unblocks you, I am attaching the archived KB article...

Thank you.  One thing, the right column is clipped so information is missing (pages 3 & 4):

• 3. Re: More documentation frustration
              Alina Koldin

Thanks, Toby. Your feedback has been very helpful and added to the conversations we've already been having about the strategy for versioned content.

What you got redirected to is the Tableau Desktop Deployment Guide. We will be adding an Appendix to it for 10.2 and the prior version content will live in the Appendix.

For now, re-attaching the old KB with fixed table.

Also, I understand your frustration with the new content, as it has been rewritten and you're not used to it. We just ask you to give it a chance.

• 4. Re: More documentation frustration
                Toby Erkson

Thanks for the document.