5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2017 3:31 PM by JAGADEESH KUMAR

How to create a floating column chart in Tableau

Timothy Kirby

Is there a way to create a floating column chart in Tableau? For example, imagine a chart that shows minimum and maximum temperatures as bars for each month. Each bar should start at the minimum temperature (not zero) and top out at the maximum for a given period (see attached image).

Simple to do in Excel. I've looked at using Box & Whisker charts, Gantt charts, etc., in Tableau with no luck.floating-column.png

• 1. Re: How to create a floating column chart in Tableau
          Jonathan Drummey

It's a Gantt chart in Tableau, here's a rough idea of the setup:

- Month on Columns as a discrete (blue) pill

- The MinTemp on Rows as a continuous (green) pill

- MaxTemp-MinTemp (i.e. the range or length of the bar) as a pill on Size

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create a floating column chart in Tableau
            Timothy Kirby

Jonathan, All good. A Gannt chart works in the case where the column is a date. I should have used an example where the column does not represent a date (in my actual case the column is a Project, and the column heights are leveraged and unleveraged returns -- the temperature example was my feeble attempt to put the problem in terms that most would immediately grasp ;-).

Is there a way to get the bar to float for non-date columns?

• 3. Re: How to create a floating column chart in Tableau
              Tom W

You can follow Jonathan's instructions, it doesn't have to be a date.

> Drag a dimension (i.e. Project) onto the column shelf.

> Drag the un-leveraged returns metric on to the rows shelf

> Create a calculation as [Leveraged Returns] - [Unleveraged Returns]

> Drag your calculation on to the size button on the marks card and set it to bar.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to create a floating column chart in Tableau
                Timothy Kirby

Awesome!! Thanks to you both. It did not work when I set it to "bar" (the width of the bar was what changed). I was unable to select Gannt from the "Show Me" dialogue, however it did allow me to select "Gannt Bar" on the Marks card. Works great!

• 5. Re: How to create a floating column chart in Tableau
                  JAGADEESH KUMAR

Hello Timothy Kirby,

There is another simple way to do this. By doing dual axis between min and min of temp, we can create this visualization.

Jonathan model was good. But cant show the max and min labels .

According to me,(im showing Viz on sample store as example)

-Drag the month and drop it into Column shelf.

-Drag the profit into rows shelf

-Right click on the Profit field in the shelf and change the measure to max.

-Again drag the profit field into the row shelf and right click on the profit field in the shelf and change the measure to min.

-Right click on the min(profit) and select "Dual Axis". and after dual axis, right click on the axis and choose synchronize axis.

-Edit the max profit label to profit.

Thatz u will get the required Viz.Capture.JPG

With Regards,

Jagadeesh.