3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 2:28 PM by Tim Lynch

Comparing User Selected Groups of Products

Tim Lynch

Hello

I am looking to find a way to compare sales for three different groups of products.  The analysis will look at all possible combinations of the three groups.  The groups will be different each time so the user will need the ability to select the products.   The users will not have access to Tableau Desktop so the experience should be simple.  Ideally the comparison is done in the same view to address an scale issues.

I've looked into using several approaches including sets, duplicating data sources, groupings.  Now of them have addressed the challenge.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Attached is one of my attempts using sets.

• 1. Re: Comparing User Selected Groups of Products
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Tim,

I'm not understanding the problem here? You mention "scale issues" but don't specify what they are exactly?Three worksheets each with a filter on Product (no Sets, groups, or anything are necessary) meet the conditions you've laid out and would be about as fast to update as Tableau could get.

Jonathan

• 2. Re: Comparing User Selected Groups of Products
            Tim Lynch

Jonathan

Thanks for the response.  Sorry for not be being a little clearer.  Below are 2 specific scenarios I would like to achieve.  I’ve attached a new mockup of the report.  It is a little closer to what we have discussed.

Scenarios

1)    Compare the sales of the three different populations by month for the year 2015. I’m envisioning a line chart.

2)    Compare the sales of all combinations of the 3 groups for November 2015.  It would be a bar chart with each bar representing one combination.

Assumptions

1)    The user would only select for products for three groups.  They would not be required to select the products for all 6 combinations.

2)    The user will not have access to Tableau Desktop to create their own groups, etc.

Challenges

1)    How to combine the different populations?  The user would select the products to be included in the 3 different groups.  I would then like to be able to combine the different combinations ( 1+2, 2+3.....). 

2)     The scale issue comes into play when comparing the different populations.  My first attempt created separate line charts next to each other.  The comparison was not very valuable because they had different scales. 

• 3. Re: Comparing User Selected Groups of Products
              Tim Lynch

Jonathan

Let me know if my clarifications made sense.  They were made directly within the posting.  I probably should have just responded directly back to you.  Any insights would be incredibly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  

Tim Lynch206-650-2582

To: Tim Lynch <lynchtf1@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 1:55 PM

Subject: Re:  - Comparing User Selected Groups of Products

#yiv9180725534 * #yiv9180725534 a #yiv9180725534 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9180725534 #yiv9180725534 h1, #yiv9180725534 h2, #yiv9180725534 h3, #yiv9180725534 h4, #yiv9180725534 h5, #yiv9180725534 h6, #yiv9180725534 p, #yiv9180725534 hr {}#yiv9180725534 .yiv9180725534button td {}

|

Tableau Community 

|

Comparing User Selected Groups of Products

reply from Jonathan Drummey in Forums - View the full discussionHi Tim, I'm not understanding the problem here? You mention "scale issues" but don't specify what they are exactly?Three worksheets each with a filter on Product (no Sets, groups, or anything are necessary) meet the conditions you've laid out and would be about as fast to update as Tableau could get. Jonathan

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tableau Community

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at Tableau Community

Following Comparing User Selected Groups of Products in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Tableau Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tableau Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences   |

|