3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 3:53 PM by Christina Gremore

MANUAL SORTING WILL NOT SAVE

Tiffany Muskopf

Hi everytime I close and save my Tableau workbook, the sort goes back to automatic, meaning ascending alpha.  I have grouped appointment dates into quarters, because I need to show the names of the quarters.  I do not want to show every month for every quarter.  Just, for example, July - Sept 2015.  Anyways, once I have done this, I sort them by fiscal  year starting in July.  Once I close and reopen, the sort goes back to Alpha.  Is there anyway to stop this from doing that?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: MANUAL SORTING WILL NOT SAVE
          Christina Gremore

That doesn't sound like expected behavior - it could possibly be a bug. One thing I would try, though, is setting the default sort on your group.

1. Right-click on your grouped field in the data pane.

2. Select 'Default Properties'.

3. Select 'Sort.'

4. Use the Manual option to get the sort the way you want it.

Another possibility would be to set the fiscal year start for the date.

1. Right click on your date field (not the grouping of the date field) and select Default Properties

2. Select 'Fiscal Year Start.' Set to July.

If these don't work, either post a packaged workbook to the forums or open a support case.

• 2. Re: MANUAL SORTING WILL NOT SAVE
            Tiffany Muskopf

Did what you said to do, saved and then closed.  When I reopened it went right back to the alphabetical sort.  I did a group on appt date.  I do have Fiscal Year set to July already.  After I did the grouping of month and year, I renamed their group.  Could this be why?

• 3. Re: MANUAL SORTING WILL NOT SAVE
              Christina Gremore

Without a look at your packaged workbook, I don't know that I'm able to give any more guidance. I tried mocking up a version of this with some fake data based on what you've written here, and my sort on the grouped dates persisted after I saved and closed the workbook, then re-opened it. It seems I am likely following different steps than you are, and there are just too many variables for me to be able to make an accurate guess without even a screenshot of your canvas. If you can post your twbx here, or a version of what you're doing with fake data, I can take a closer look.