2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2016 8:19 PM by siyang.teo

Equal resizing of objects in a horizontal or vertical container

siyang.teo

Dashboard layouts is one of the hardest things to understand and grapple for me in Tableau.

I am trying to dump objects into a horizontal container but I require them to resize equally relative to each other when the width of the dashboard changes.

This is because I need to set the dashboard size as automatic and embed in a webpage. Hence, auto resizing is very important.

It seems like some stroke of luck when sometimes I can make all objects within a container resize together.

However, most of the time I can't. In the attached twbx, only the time slider is resized while the other two filters did not.

Can anyone give a guide on how to resolve this?

• 1. Re: Equal resizing of objects in a horizontal or vertical container
          Simon Runc

hi Siyang,

Ah the joys of resizing dashboard...we allow our dashboard re-size so have grappled with this problem quite a bit...

So the best way I've found to do this is to fix the width of some, or all, of the objects.

If you want the objects to be evenly distributed over the width of the dashboard...one way I've found it to set the fixed width of all 3 objects (in your example) to something very big, like 1000 px. What this does is that each object will remain equally distributed regardless of the size (up to 3000px - 3 objects times 1000px, when they no longer expand...if you have larger screens than this you can use a bigger number). I've done this on the "Equal Size" Dashboard

The other way I do it...is to only fix the width (or height) of certain objects, which allows the other objects to re-size, while the fixed ones remain fixed. I've done this on the "Some Fixed" dashboard, where the filters are fixed at 200px and the Avg Speed Slider is left to re-size (I've also added a blank container in which also can help keep the resizing element to look sensible on very wide screen, as that will also dynamically resize)

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Equal resizing of objects in a horizontal or vertical container
            siyang.teo

Thank you Simon! The first suggestion works perfectly.