3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 4:38 PM by Tom W

    Tableau Datasource Refesh Failed: Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost

    Yong Wah Wong

      Hi Everybody,

       

      Holiday season greeting to each and one of you. Merry Christmas : )

       

      After upgrading our Tableau Server from version 8.2.7 to 10.1, we encounter a 30 of intermittent refreshed extract failed which we did not encounter on version 8.2.7.

       

      Full Error Message: [Connecting to Tableau PostgreSQL database, I get the records of 30 refresh failed due to the this error message for the past 14 days (till today 12 Dec 2016)]

      <

      com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.DataSouceException: The connection to the data source might have been lost.

      ExternalProtocol::PippMessageSource::ReadBytes:Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost.

      >

       

      Checked on the Tableau Knowledge based, nevertheless it does not able to resolve the issue. Refreshed still failed.

      Error "Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost" When Refreshing Extract | Tableau Software

      Error "Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server Process Was Lost" Refreshing Oracle Extract | Tableau Software

       

      We confirmed & verified that our Server meet the Tableau minimum hardware recommended. We did a test scenario with a production & staging environment. The staging environment refreshed successfully while the production environment failed. The purpose of this test scenario is to proof that it does not affect due to overlap with the ETL rebuild cycles as mentioned in the knowledge based.

       

      Hoping anyone in the community able to share some information related to this issue. Thanks everybody.

       

      Michael Wong