12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 12:19 PM by gene shackman

Borders, moving title, long vs wide data

gene shackman

I have four questions. I hope the first three are simple, but I'm having some difficulty finding the answers.

1. In the dashboard, I show a chart and a table. How do I make a border enclosing the table and another border around the chart? Completely around the chart, enclosing the legend, axis, etc.

2. The dashboard has "year" on top of the chart. I can not show that, but can I move it to below the axis in the chart?

3. In the twbx file, the two regions are NYC and "NYS excluding NYC". In the table, I can stretch out the column widths so the complete names of the regions show. But in the chart, the end of the long named region gets cut off. I can format the legend so it's a column, but I want them in a single row. What can I do to not get the end of the name cut off?

4. The attached excel file has the same data, in two sheets, one in wide format, and one in long format. I used the wide format to make the table and chart. How do I use the long format to do the same thing, and why would I use long format instead of wide format?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
          Joe Oppelt

(Note to self:  V 10.1 workbook)

See attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
            Joe Oppelt

I made borders by enclosing things in their own containers, and then formatting the containers.

In my example I used floating containers.  I just like them better.  You could also do it with tiled.  It's a matter of style.

On the chart I just did "hide field label" on year.  Since you have year numbers on the axis, it's redundant to label them as "Year".

To extend the space for the legend values in the single-row legend, you can drag the orange dot to the right.

I'll be back with the "long format" viz.  I missed that question.  You are better off using long format.

• 3. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
              Joe Oppelt

Long form in Sheet 3.

• 4. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                gene shackman

Joe,

Thanks.

"enclosing things in their own containers"

How to do that?

"Since you have year numbers on the axis, it's redundant to label them as "Year"."

Yes, that's what I want to do, but one person requested the label.

"To extend the space for the legend values in the single-row legend, you can drag the orange dot to the right."

I tried that. Not sure I'm dragging the right thing. Could you explain a little more?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                  Joe Oppelt

BTW, you'll notice that the label for "year" is BELOW the axis on this one.  Note the difference.  In "chart" the Year pill is blue.  You have "Year" a s a string variable in your wide data source.  It will always be treated as a DISCRETE value when it is string.  And Tableau wants to shove discrete labels on the top of the viz.

Notice in sheet 3 it's at the bottom of the chart now.  The [Year] pill is green.  That means it's a CONTINUOUS dimension.  (If a year was missing in the middle, you would still get a number for it on the axis.)

I made a copy of this in Sheet 4, but changed [Year] to Discrete here.  Label is at the top.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                    Joe Oppelt

"How to do that".

See attached.  This is your original without the stuff I did in versions A, B and C earlier.

Dashboard 2 is a copy of Dashboard 1.  But I clicked "Floating" on the "Dashboard" tab of the Dashboard editor.  (There are two tabs at the top of the left panel:  "Dashboard" and "Layout".  We will be using both here.)  After clicking "Floating" (near the bottom of the left panel) I dragged a Vertical container (under "Objects") into the dashboard.  This is floating on top of everything else now.  I formatted it (right click in the container and choose "format container") to have a border.  You can select colors, styles, thicknesses.

Dashboard 3 is a copy of Dashboard 2.  When you click in a container, it gets a blue border.  You can drag the edges to expand the size.  I expanded it to encompass the size of your current layout for the top portion of the dashboard.  Now, you COULD just stop there.  Visually it's what you want.  But this container is floating over all the other stuff.  Try to click a tooltip.  Nothing happens, right?  That's because you are clicking in this container, not in the sheet below it.  Also, if you add anything else to the tiled layout, things will move around and the black border will no longer be in the right place.  So we will put stuff INTO the container.

Dashboard 4 is a copy of Dashboard 3.  (I added the second container and border here.)  In LAYOUT under objects, I expanded all the "Tiled" and "Vertical" and "Horizontal" objects that Tableau created for you when you tiled in all these objects.  I clicked on each individual object and in the middle of the left panel there is a check box for "Floating".  I clicked that for each object.  (the chart, the table, the legend, the title.)  Now you see them in disordered array on the dashboard.  When you click on any one of those objects, you'll see a little dotted area in the upper border of the object.  If you click on the border of the object, again, you can change its size.  (Don't do that here.)  But if you click on the dotted area, you can drag the object around (without changing its size.)  To place an object into a container, you SHIFT-CLICK-DRAG it into the container.

Dashboard 5.  I have SHIFT-DRAGGED the grid into the red container.

Dashboard 6.  I have SHIFT-DRAGGED the three objects into the black container.  Play with this one.  It's hard to describe, but when you are dragging the second object into a container that already has one or more objects in it, you'll get a grey area that shows where Tableau is planning to plunk it.

Dashboard 7.  I edited the legend to be single row.  The orange label is truncated.  Place your cursor on the orange dot.  Slowly move it off the dot to the left of the dot.  You will notice your cursor change from the normal arrow to a horizontal arrow.  Click at that point and start dragging to the right.  Tableau will be expanding the space for the label FOR BOTH LABELS.  When the size is large enough to accommodate the long label, suddenly the whole thing will appear for you.

Dashboard 8 is the final product.

• 7. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                      gene shackman

Thanks for this info. I tried changing "year" to numeric on the file that had year as string, it did change, but it's still a blue pill. If I start over, opening Tableau and reading in the excel file again, using year as a number, then it does get put at the bottom, instead of at the top. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                        Joe Oppelt

Are you all set now for everything you were looking to get answered?

• 9. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                          gene shackman

I am working my way through your answers. Sorry, it will take me some time.

• 10. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                            gene shackman

"I'll be back with the "long format" viz.  I missed that question.  You are better off using long format."

A little more about this? I use the wide format and can get the tables and charts I want. How to do that, and why, with the long format?

• 11. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                              Joe Oppelt

Yes, you can (and did) get the viz you want.  Using the "wide format", you just have to put a separate measure in the measures shelf for each Region.  It's easy with just two such measures.  What if you have 100 separate regions, though?  Tableau will handle that for you if your data is set up as I did it in Sheet 3.  The "long format" is industry best practice for BI tools because of the way BIs manage it for you.

• 12. Re: Borders, moving title, long vs wide data
                                gene shackman

I have more questions about long vs wide, but I'm going to repost, so that I can mark your answers as correct to the other questions I asked.