2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 4:44 PM by Erantzeri Corona

Best Way To Filter Out Employee Purchases from eComm Sales?

Erantzeri Corona

Hi all,

I'm using Tableau for Shopify eCommerce sales data (and a few other things) and I don't know what the easiest/best way to apply a "global" (applicable to all sheets/views) filter to filter-out certain "customers" which are really our own employees buying stuff. 

I can think of two ways (though not 100% sure on how):

1.-  Create a "Group" which includes all employee customer IDs (or similar identifier) and filter every sheet/view with that

2.-  Somehow "qualify" or add a separate marker/filter at the "Customer ID" level, where each customer is either "yes" or "no" and then filter using that.  Don't know how to do this though.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to have this issue come up so hopefully someone with more experience on Tableau can give me some tips.  Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Best Way To Filter Out Employee Purchases from eComm Sales?
          Joe Oppelt

I would lobby for a [Customer Type] field in the data.

Employee

Individual

Business

etc...

You'll want that some day anyway.  Having it now will let you filter out employees where you need to filter them out.

And there are two ways to filter something globally.

1)  You can make a data source filter.  That would filter in/out rows as Tableau retrieves them from the data source.  In effect, this sort of filter behaves as if you had previously removed the rows from the data before ever telling Tableau to look at the data source.  But the cool thing about a data source filter is that you can still control it from within Tableau at the user-experience level.  I have a workbook that uses many data sources.  Each data source has a column for a business segment.  The user has a parameter that lets him select a single type, or ALL.  I have a data source filter on each data source that has this condition on it:

[Managed Segment] = "All" or

UPPER([ManagedSegment]) = [Managed Segment]

User sets the [Managed Segment] parameter to a specific segment, or ALL, and gets the appropriate data.

2)  Create a quick filter, and set it as "Apply to..." all worksheets that use this data source.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Way To Filter Out Employee Purchases from eComm Sales?
            Erantzeri Corona

Thank you!!  This is very helpful.