4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 4:12 AM by Zeenat Goyal

Tableau file on HANA view basics

Zeenat Goyal

Hi All,

I am trying to create a visualisation in tableau on top of HANA view. I would like to understand few very important things -

1. whenever there is a change in the view level at backend (addition of a column, Input parameters/prompts) Tableau file is not getting the updated.

2. Tableau is created from a HANA view in one package and later when the package is changed from the backend, how will I repoint my tableau file from Package 1 to package 2.

3. How the tableau file will be one server to another i.e. from Dev to QA lets say.

Thanks in advance.

Zeenat

• 1. Re: Tableau file on HANA view basics
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Zeenat,

Questions always will create new questions;)

a. What kind of connection did you use? I assume a "Live" connections which reflects any change in HAHA after refresh in Tableau

b. Re-point on latest package...something like a filter with max(packageID)

c. Is your Tableau landscaped as a "mirror" against SAP HANA or are you using only one Tableau environment?

• 2. Re: Tableau file on HANA view basics
            Zeenat Goyal

Hello Norbert,

Thanks for the quick response,

1. Yes, connection is live but still I am facing problem in refreshing the structure , I am using Tableau Desktop 9.3.

2. I am unable to understand how ? Here is my scenario , For personal development , there is one package XYZ , after some round of brain stroming with business once it is finalized it is moved to FINAL package in DEV environment.

So , how will I repoint my tableau file from XYZ\HANA_View_1  to FINAL\HANA_VIEW_1

3. Yes , tableau landscape is a mirror image against SAP HANA .

• 3. Re: Tableau file on HANA view basics
              Norbert Maijoor

Zeenat,

The following.

Concerning

1. it's hard to tell what is going wrong. As said a "Live-connection" should reflect latest status in HANA.

2. I assumed that your view contains a field "PackageID". I can't imagine, from the top of my head, a scenario where you will switch from view to the next view.

3. Based on naming-conventions HANA-Views in DQ(A)P-landscape should be identical to recognized by Tableau mirrored applications.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau file on HANA view basics
                Zeenat Goyal

Thanks for the reply for point 3 Norbert

I am still open with question 1 and 2 and most importantly  2.