6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 11:13 AM by Russell Christopher

vizql and redis interaction

learner always

In general i am trying to understand the cache usage in tableau. Btw i see the following numbers reported from cache servers. There are 2 cache servers and both have ~43% cache utilization. What is the community seeing in general on your servers. Also why would total_net_output_bytes be reported as '0'.

# Stats

total_connections_received:151

total_commands_processed:92529

instantaneous_ops_per_sec:0

total_net_input_bytes:404010920

total_net_output_bytes:0

instantaneous_input_kbps:0.00

instantaneous_output_kbps:0.00

rejected_connections:0

sync_full:0

sync_partial_ok:0

sync_partial_err:0

expired_keys:3233

evicted_keys:0

total_net_output_bytes
      keyspace_hits:19541

keyspace_misses:25595

pubsub_channels:0

pubsub_patterns:0

latest_fork_usec:0

# Replication

role:master

connected_slaves:0

master_repl_offset:0

repl_backlog_active:0

repl_backlog_size:1048576

repl_backlog_first_byte_offset:0

repl_backlog_histlen:0

# CPU

used_cpu_sys:12.18

used_cpu_user:7.00

used_cpu_sys_children:0.00

used_cpu_user_children:0.00

# Keyspace

db0:keys=21614,expires=21614,avg_ttl=31739976

• 1. Re: vizql and redis interaction

Hello learner always,

I'm not well versed into Cache and Server, however I'm sure how community could help you on that matter.

Does anyone knows why the why would total_net_output_bytes is reported as '0'?

• 2. Re: vizql and redis interaction
            learner always

Along the same lines i see the following parameter set to true, i.e. disabled, what does this parameter mean:

backgrounder.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

backgrounder.properties:external_native_query_cache_disable=true

backgrounder.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

backgrounder.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

dataserver.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

dataserver.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

dataserver.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

filestore.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

filestore.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

filestore.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

tabadminservice.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

tabadminservice.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

tabadminservice.properties:vizqlserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

tabadminservice.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizportal.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizportal.properties:external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizportal.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizportal.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizql.properties:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizql.properties:external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizql.properties:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

vizql.properties:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable=true

workgroup.yml:backgrounder.external_native_query_cache_disable: true

workgroup.yml:vizportal.external_native_query_cache_disable: true

workgroup.yml:vizqlserver.external_native_query_cache_disable: true

workgroup.yml:wgserver.external_native_query_cache_disable: true

Thanks,

• 3. Re: vizql and redis interaction
              learner always

Another parameter that is confusing:

backgrounder.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

dataserver.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

dataserver.properties:external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

filestore.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

tabadminservice.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

vizportal.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

vizql.properties:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable=true

workgroup.yml:dataserver.external_abstract_query_cache_disable: true

Whats the difference between external_abstract_query_cache_disable and external_native_query_cache_disable

Thanks,

• 4. Re: vizql and redis interaction
                Russell Christopher

Hey Learner!

Glad you're having fun with the YAML files! However, the settings which aren't documented....well, they aren't documented. You generally won't get much additional help with them here because we frankly don't want you messing with them and potentially breaking something

You should also keep in mind that some of the settings you see may not even apply to your "On-prem" Tableau Server - some of them are used for Tableau Online or Public.

SO, if you're really curious about these, my advice would be to change them (on a QA server) and see what happens! 60% of the time, you probably won't be able to detect a difference. 20% of the time ou'll break something, the other 20% might yield some interesting results.

FYI, the difference between the abstract and native cache  is the TYPE of data they hold. The abstract cache is a more generalized cache that can often be re-used many times to answer slightly different questions. Entries in the Native cache are tried directly to a specific querystring & connect string combination. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: vizql and redis interaction
                  learner always

Thanks Russell,

Understood, do these settings impact "on-perm" tableau server or are they for online only.

• 6. Re: vizql and redis interaction
                    Russell Christopher

Don't know - I'd never be interested in these settings because turning the cache off would be bad for all-around performance. I'm sure there's a reason why they're in there, but I don't know it