7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 10:17 AM by Sumit Pokhriyal

Information regarding Guest User

Sumit Pokhriyal

Hi,

Based on information regarding Guest User:

A Guest user is available in Tableau Server to allow users who don't have an account on the server to see and interact with an embedded view. When enabled, the user can load a webpage that contains an embedded visualization without signing in. The Guest user option is available only with a core-based license.

As per understanding no need to setup Trusted Authentication when using Guest user to avoid authentication popup.

Do, I need to pass username or something when embedding view using Javascript API. How does it work actually. I don't want the URL to be publicly accessible outside custom site.

Thanks,

Sumit.

• 1. Re: Information regarding Guest User
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Sumit - so the views that we have here in the Community are hosted on a Tableau Server with guest user enabled.  You just need to make sure Guest user is associated with the workbook and views that should be accessible without login.  We use embedding here in the community.  See Crow's Nest as an example of a working view.

I hope that helps.

Patrick

• 3. Re: Information regarding Guest User
            Sumit Pokhriyal

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response.

My question is related to embedding view in our department website.

Let me break it down further:

First question, If we associate Guest user with the workbook and view that I am trying to embed in our department website.

Can those view will be accessible without login in our website (I am not talking about Tableau site).

If yes, Do I need to pass username or something when embedding view using Javascript API. How does it actually work?

Or Guest User is nothing to do with access to external sites and we need to use something like Trusted Authentication.

Thanks,

Sumit.

• 4. Re: Information regarding Guest User
              Mark Wu

Hi Sumit, when you embed a Tableau view to department web, you have options to use Guest account or trusted authentications or even Tableau authentications:

• A Guest user is to allow users who don't have an account on the server to see and interact with an embedded view. When enabled, the user can load a webpage that contains an embedded visualization without signing in. Conditions are:
                • Core based license
                • Guest account enabled on server
                • Guest access needs to be explicitly mentioned for all the Projects/workbooks in the server for each sites.
                • Web users do not need to have accounts on Tableau server

Caution: Guest account can only be enabled or disabled at whole server level not at site level.

• Trusted authentication: It simply means that you have set up a trusted relationship between Tableau Server and one or more web servers. When Tableau Server receives requests from these trusted web servers it assumes that your web server has handled whatever authentication is necessary. Conditions are:
                • All web users must have accounts on Tableau server (to avoid error msg)
                • All web users should have permission to see the views to avoid error msg.
              • Regular Tableau server authentications

Guest account is tricky thing. Pls see some tips @ Embedded view using Guest account

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Information regarding Guest User
                Sumit Pokhriyal

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for such a detailed answer. It helped me a lot.

I have only one question. It seems like enabling Guest access on Project/workbook make that as public, as anyone can view/embed it.

As per my requirement Project/workbook will be accessible without login prompt only if user is already authenticated to our department site.

I don't want the user to copy the report URL paste it in browser and access it directly.

Thanks,

Sumit.

• 6. Re: Information regarding Guest User
                  Mark McGhee

Mark's observations are spot on and at the moment it is still the case that the Guest account can only be enabled/disabled at the Server level but this is a feature that is looking to be included with version 10.2.  

Coming Soon

Under the Enterprise Section if Security & Governance is selected you'll see the one item:

------------

Guest access per site for Tableau Server

Enjoy greater control over site access. Site and Server Admins can now set if a site should have guest access or not

• 7. Re: Information regarding Guest User
                    Sumit Pokhriyal

Hi Mark McGhee,

I think there is some confusion.

I am not looking for whether Guest account can be enabled at Server or Site level on Tableau.

Thanks,

Sumit.