6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 12:22 AM by Bora Beran

display trendline statistics as a card?

jon rios

is there a way to display the trendline data (r-squared, p-value) as a card or display it within the Viz?  i cant find how...a little annoying to constantly check when viz updates..

thanks.

• 1. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
          Yash Chaturvedi

Hi Jon,

Yes, there is a way to display trend line data on card.

-> Right click on the sheet -> Trend lines -> Describe Trend model (Follow screenshot for reference)

Example.png 

You'll get all related information of your trend model with the required values.

If you further want full sheet description you can press- CTL+ E and a pop up card will come with all the values in your sheet.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Yash

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
            jon rios

thanks Yash

But i was referring to a card that stays on the viz, like this summary card in the attachment but for the Trend Model.  Thanks for the reply.  i dont think what im looking for is possible...

• 3. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
              Yash Chaturvedi

Hi Jon,

Yeah, there is only summary card which stays on viz, alternative options mentioned above.

If you got your answer then please close this thread by marking answer as correct answer.

Thanks

Yash

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
                jon rios

thanks, but i think we are talking about 2 completely different things.  I understand you can view the trend-line statistics by right clicking and it opens up a "WINDOW" that shows the statistics.

What i wanted is a "CARD". The small containers that are placed on the Viz are "cards".  They hold information that are always viewable, like the summary "card".

I wanted to now if there existed a way to place the trend-line information on the viz like a "card.  thanks for trying to answer.

• 5. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
                  Yash Chaturvedi

Hi Jon,

As i mentioned above also, we can only see Summary card with viz, there is no way exist to get a Card with Trend-line information.

Hope you're clear with the answer now.

Thanks

Yash

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: display trendline statistics as a card?
                    Bora Beran

you can calculate these values yourself using LOD expressions or Table calculation which allows you to display them anywhere you like. But it won't react to changes in your visualizations unless changes are things like new data being added or filters being applied since calculation has to name measures and dimensions used explicitly.

I will write a blog post about doing various statistical procedures in Tableau using LOD expressions and this would be one of them. Here is an example assuming you are computing these for row level data and looking for correlation between sales and profit.

Here is covariance

{SUM(([Profit] - {AVG([Profit])})*([Sales] - {AVG([Sales])}))}

/({SUM([Number of Records])} -1)

And here is correlation coefficient based on the covariance calculation

[Covariance]/{STDEV([Profit])*STDEV([Sales])}

Testing for significance of slope is more tricky since you need to have access to critical values. If you have a particular alpha in mind you can create a calculated field that contains the critical values for that for different degrees of freedom and show significance results by comparing the test statistic you can compute in Tableau with those.