3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 7:15 PM by Nachiket Dekhane

Parametrization of date slider filter limits

Kenneth Carrasquillo

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before i have been looking on google for quite a while now and nothing. Maybe my searching skills are not quite as good as I would like.

That aside, is there a possibility of extracting the last value of a date slider filter into a parameter?

for example to set:

sliderEndDate = "user specified slider upper limit

Many Thanks in advace.

• 1. Re: Parametrization of date slider filter limits
          Nachiket Dekhane

Hi Kenneth,

From what I understand, you are looking to capture the user input value dynamically in parameter. As far as I know, Tableau does not have capability of dynamic parameters. You can instead opt for calculated field that will calculate the maximum date in the viz. Please post the packaged workbook if you have any specific question.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nachiket

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Parametrization of date slider filter limits
            Kenneth Carrasquillo

Nachiket,

Thanks for the prompt response.

This is my case (no pun intended):

calculated field = (

CASE

[Parameters].[Profit Before Taxes View P1]

WHEN "Profit before taxation (Y) P1" THEN

[SHAREHOLDERS' EQUITY (YTD)]* float(iif([shareHoldersTest] == 1 or [Date ] == {fixed : MAX([Date ])} ,1,0))

WHEN "Profit before taxation (Q) P1" THEN

[SHAREHOLDERS (Average) Q]

WHEN "Profit before taxation (R) P1" THEN

[SHAREHOLDERS (Average) R]

END

)

The bold section is the condition I wish to reevaluate once the data is sliced by date by the user. Is this the correct expression as to find the new maximum of the date once the user has sliced the data to the past or future? At the moment this expression is keeping the last date on the data even when it is filtered by the date slider. Sorry I cant upload the workbook since I only have tableau public.

Thanks again!

KCS

• 3. Re: Parametrization of date slider filter limits
              Nachiket Dekhane

Hi Kenneth,

Dimensional filters don't affect the FIXED level of detail calculation. You will have to opt for either INCLUDE or EXCLUDE lod to calculate the max date. Alternatively, in case the use of FIXED is absolutely necessary then you will have to add the date filter to context. You can refer the link to check how filters affect LOD calculations: Filters and Level of Detail Expressions

It would be hard to provide the exact calculation without the workbook. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nachiket