3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 8:35 AM by Tom W

Changing which field will be the summary field in a map selection

Soren Burkhart

Researched this, but couldn't find a good answer.

For example look at this sample twb.  I have profit on color, and sales on detail.

If I custom select an area on the map the summary bubble will show the summary for the marks using profit, and I want to use sales.

How can I change which field is displayed?

Thanks,

Soren

• 1. Re: Changing which field will be the summary field in a map selection
          Tom W

1. Create a parameter called 'metric', set it to type string and set it up as a list with values like sales and profit.

2. Create a calculated field with a formula like

if [metric] = 'sales' then SUM([Sales])

elseif [metric] = 'profit' then SUM([Profit])

END

3. Drag the new calculated field onto the color button on the marks card. Make sure you remove your existing reference to Sales or Profit on your map

• 2. Re: Changing which field will be the summary field in a map selection
            Soren Burkhart

Thanks for the fast response.

I am familiar with using a parameter to select the filter.  What I want to do is use both.  I want to color with Profit, and when I select the marks it shows the total with Sales $.

What seems to be happening with the Summary card is that fields are added is somewhat alphabetical order when initially placing them.  So I create a couple called A1, B1 and I can now make A1 point to Sales, and B1 point to Profit.

This allows me to color with Profit, but group select the marks total shows in units of Sales $.

My trick seems sort of kludgy.. wonder if there is a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Soren

• 3. Re: Changing which field will be the summary field in a map selection
              Tom W

Sorry, but I have no idea what A1 and B1 reference.

Looking at the example you attached, it seems to be working exactly as you described your requirement. The zipcodes are filled using the profit number and when I hover over the area I see the profit and the sales number in the hover.