3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 4:57 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Dealing extract with hierarchical records

Chris Chris

Hello,

I am a beginner in Tableau, so please apologize if I am asking a very basic question.

I have a CUSTOMER extract with hierarchical records as shown below. for each customer, this has a header record (identifiable with HEADER=1) with fields at customer level and rest of records down to account level. Not all customers need to have all types of account. A customer could have 1 to around 20 types accounts, so they have 2 two 21 rows... there is not limit on the account types for now, though practically there aren't too many.

Extract sample for one customer:

HEADER

CUSTOMERID

YEARS OF RELATIONSHIP

RISK SCORE

ACCOUNT TYPE

ACCOUNT OPENED DATE

ACCOUNT BALANCE

CHECKING

1/1/2010

$5,000

SAVINGS

1/1/2010

$10,000

INVESTMENT

1/1/2015

$7,000

I have two views in the dashboard:

1) one view showing aggregated information by score range from HEADER rows in the extract (member count, average years of experience etc.. ).. I use filter HEADER=1 to include only header rows in any calculations in this view.

2) the other view showing aggregated information (average balance stc..) by account type.

When I select one of more groups of customers from first view, I have the action filters set to show only those customers' accounts in the 2nd view. This is pretty standard and working.

The part that I have a challenge with is.. I selected a specific account type in 2nd view (which has data aggregated at account types).. and only 30 out of 100 total members (for example) have that type of account.. the aim is to see only those 30 members' data in first view. How do I pass the 30 members back to first view and include only those 30 members in first view?  Because these two views are working on difference set of rows, i think the standard action filter isn't helping.

Any help on this is appreciated, thank you.