3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 1:08 PM by rob.strelecki

Blended measure in/out of view affects another blended measure

rob.strelecki

Hello,

I've run into something strange when using measures from two secondary data sources.  I can't come up with an explanation for this on my own and am reaching out to the community to see if there is an explanation or if it might be a bug.

Screenshot 1.  Each column is from a different data source.  The "Dealer Type" is from the primary.

The "BulkQuantity" measure is incorrect in this view.  It should be much lower.

Screenshot 2.  I removed the "Commission Payable" measure from the view and the "BulkQuantity" measure is now the correct value.

How is it that one measure being in/out of view can affect the value in a different measure?

I checked to make sure that the relationships and linking did not change between these views.

Something else I noticed is that un-linking the dimension in the "Commission Payable" data source also results in the correct "BulkQuantity" value.  Of course we then get an incorrect value for "Commission Payable".

Thanks,

-Rob

• 1. Re: Blended measure in/out of view affects another blended measure
          rob.strelecki

Further, I found that it's not just measures in/out of view affecting this.  If I pull a dimension from "Commission Payable" into view, the total "BulkQuantity" increases to the unexpected amount.  The value is spread among the rows.  This might be a clue and I'm thinking about it now.

-Rob

• 2. Re: Blended measure in/out of view affects another blended measure
            Joe Oppelt

Look at the relationships set up among these data sources.

I'm guessing you are blending on more (or less) than you think you are.

But guess is all I can do.  On the surface, what you are doing should work smoothly.  I have sheets all over the place that pull measures from secondary sources without problem.

I would need to see your workbook to do something more than guess.  But looking at relationships (and what you have clicked on for blending) is where I would look first.

• 3. Re: Blended measure in/out of view affects another blended measure
              rob.strelecki

Thanks, Joe.

I was blending on InvoiceNumber for one, but dealer name and MY(InvoiceDate) for the other.

I would say that those blends have a very different granularity.

Switching them to both be DealerName and MY(InvoiceDate), seems to solve the problem.

So it seems to pull in the BulkQuantity beside every InvoiceNumber, regardless of whether the invoice numbers are in view, and then it sums that up.  I think the BulkQuantity must be repeated for all invoices that have a matching DealerName and MY(InvoiceDate).

Not intuitive, yet understandable

-Rob