7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 9:41 AM by Toby Erkson

What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?

Toby Erkson

Example:

If I reload the page the outcome will look different but still have missing map tiles.  I'm thinking this is a network problem inside our company.  Thoughts as to why this incomplete mapping happens?

• 1. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
          Nathan Panuco

Hey Toby!

The tiles that do load, how quickly do they appear? If there is a delay, perhaps the Tableau Server cannot reach the mapping servers and is instead trying (and failing) to load the offline maps. F12 Network tab from the browser might show some response times or fiddler would show full details. Have you tried Tableau Desktop running on the computer running Tableau Server? Shift right-click to run Tableau Desktop as the Run As User account and open the workbook to see if the maps load there. This is an odd issue though, typically we see no map or a slow map - I haven't see a partial load like this before, so I might be off on my troubleshooting suggestions.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
            Toby Erkson

The tiles that load do so quickly, like less than 5 seconds.  No further spinning icon.  So it's not like the map is hanging, waiting for additional tiles.  It just displays what it can and then stops like nothing bad has happened.

So I remoted into the Server and opened the workbook there as myself (administrator).  No issues whatsoever!

I then closed Desktop and opened it as the Run As User account -- trouble!  Map wouldn't even load

Now get this:

Opening the same workbook on my laptop works as above, meaning that if I use my creds the maps display but if I use the Run As User creds there is no map!  What the H-E-double-toothpicks!?

• 3. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
              Tom W

Toby,

Fire up google chrome and load your viz.

Press F12 to open the developer tools. Click the 'Network' tab and select the 'Clear' icon in the top left. Now, zoom out of on your map and you'll notice a bunch of items start appearing in the Network tab. I loaded a viz in Tableau Public to replicate and here's what I saw;

Notice that when I click preview and click through each of the items I can see the tiles which are being used in the map.

Now I've run you through this quick lesson, click 'clear' again and refresh the entire page. Are any of the items in the Network tab failing? Some of the items are going to fail and that's OK, but I'm wondering if some parts of your map are being loaded OK and the others are failing because the network connection has dropped out or is being blocked.

At the very least I hope this demonstrates how these tiles are rendered.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
                Toby Erkson

Tom, perfect explanation!

Here's what I got:

The highlighted line is the image to the right.  That's the ONLY image!  So, as we can see, that the map image is given incomplete

Here's zooming a couple times:

If there are individual tiles that are supposed to be coming in, not one big map, then I'm not seeing it/them.

BTW, the other "views..." displayed are the filter images or other viz images (like the Server toolbar), they are not map pieces.

• 5. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
                  Tom W

Interesting, it's different to what I saw on Public!

Take a look at this KB article though, it might help explain the problem you're having - Maps Do Not Display on Tableau Server | Tableau Software

• 6. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
                    Nathan Panuco

Did you end up figuring out what was going on or did you open a case? I work a lot of map rendering cases and I haven't seen a partial load like this before and I'd like to follow the resolution. It's odd that only some of the tiles would load. You'd think if there was a firewall or permissions issue, none of the tiles would load.

Maybe there's a problems with maps themselves. Have you tried publishing using offline maps to see if the issue persists?

• 7. Re: What causes incomplete map displays in a viz?
                      Toby Erkson

Tom W wrote:

Take a look at this KB article though, it might help explain the problem you're having - Maps Do Not Display on Tableau Server | Tableau Software

Yes, we are doing that, so in reply to Nathan...

I have two files that have been modified that allow our Tableau Server to go out and get map info and these are copied to the appropriate folder after every successful install.  Here is the snippet from the batch file:

copy /Y "D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\*.tms" "D:\Application\Tableau\Tableau_Server\%SERVER_VERSION%\vizqlserver\mapsources"

The two files are "Online.tms" and "Tableau.tms".  The < connection > has been altered in each one.  Couple of things I noticed just looking at the XML files:

version="8.1"  Does the version value matter?

Tableau.tms has this:  username="tabmapbeta"  Does this value matter?  It's some long crazy name in the Online.tms file.

Offline.tms and Tactician.tms are not altered.

< edit > Just checked my QA Server and its .tms files have the version set to "10.0" but it's still having the same problem so version isn't playing a major role in this issue.