3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 11:32 AM by Michael Hesser

Migrating from Excel sheet to Tableau, feedback wanted!

SIlvina Monteleone

My goal is to migrate from an SLA excel sheet (believe it or not) to Tableau for automatization purposes and have a more transparent, less manual metric set. It is based on the issue priority.

I am somewhat good at excel so I am still trying to stop thinking ‘Excel’ and think ‘Tableau’.

Can you give me your opinion on this calculated fields? They actually work so i am very happy! however, do you think is an effective way to calculate it? Would you do it in another way?

I am attaching the packaged workbook in case you want to give it a look.

The only thing I had to manually input in my Excel file (database) is the ‘matrix’ that matches Priority with number of days. I was not able to do this in Tableau. In excel it reads like =IF(Priority="Low",10,IF(Priority="Medium",5,0))

1. I created a field containing the amount of days per priority (Low=10 days, Medium= 5 days)
      2. Then I created a field to calculate the amount of days the ticket was opened using the calculation DATEDIFF

datediff.jpg

3. Finally, I put a calculated field ‘SLA’ (image attached)

SLA.jpg

• 1. Re: Migrating from Excel sheet to Tableau, feedback wanted!
          Michael Hesser

Hello SIlvina;

A few questions:

• Have you investigated how your calculation is working for instances where there is no [Resolved] date? I didn't dig too deep into your workbook, but it seems like these are not being reflected. Should they be?
          • If these :unresolved" tickets still open, do you want a modified resolved date: a calc that will substitute the current day if it is null (not closed)? For example: if this incident is a medium priority (5 days) yet has not been resolved after 2 weeks, you know you can probably assign this to "Defect".
          • Alternatively, you may want to add a third column for "still open" tickets. A calc using the the current day may mean a ticket is counted as OK one day, and a DEFECT the next.

Let me know what you think

• 2. Re: Migrating from Excel sheet to Tableau, feedback wanted!
            SIlvina Monteleone

Hi Michael,

I am very sorry for the delay! Great feedback you've given me, I didnt think of still open tickets and possible null values.

For unresolved tickets I use a Resolution time field that calculates against the day the report was run.

Unfortunately, I am progressing very slowly since year end activities leave little time to test in Tableau but I will keep you posted.

Thank you h!

Sil

• 3. Re: Migrating from Excel sheet to Tableau, feedback wanted!
              Michael Hesser

I'm in the same boat (year-end has me going crazy). Let me know when you have time to delve into this more-- there are so many people here happy to lend a hand! Happy Holidays!