9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 9:18 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Can not get test alerts

Dmitry Solonina

Could anybody tell me why I'm getting zero alerts on run vizalerts.py script?

Set everything by install_guid.docx

Would appreciate to any response

script.png

• 1. Re: Can not get test alerts
          Matt Coles

Hey Dmitry. Are you using the test_alert comment technique for triggering a one-off alert? If so, you'll need to run the script within 5 minutes of when the comment was entered (the script is designed to be run every minute). You must also be the owner of the view you are trying to test.

If you're trying to test alerts by subscribing to them on a VizAlerts schedule, you'll need to wait until the schedule would normally be run. After that point passes, running the vizalerts.py script should pick up the alert and check it for data, which will be reflected in the logs. If it's not doing that, ensure that your alert is showing in the Scheduled Trigger Views viz.

• 2. Re: Can not get test alerts
            sudhakar reddy

Hello @Matt Coles,

As specified by dmitry. i'm also facing the same error message as zero alerts triggered.

i got a mail but it has an error as mentioned below.

Please do the needful.

test_alert error.PNGHello Mat,

Regards,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 3. Re: Can not get test alerts
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi Sudhakar,

The VizAlerts ScheduledTriggerView viz has not been configured, you’ll need to edit that viz and republish, the particular settings that you’ll need to change are default_allowed_from_address and default_allowed_recipient_addresses. See the Configure the VizAlerts ScheduledTriggerView Viz section in the Install Guide for details.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Can not get test alerts
                sudhakar reddy

Hello jonathan,

i've made changes on tableau demo dashboard as well and configured the viz too.

Regards,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 5. Re: Can not get test alerts
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi Sudhakar,

The error in the original email indicates that whatever edits you made were not published to Tableau Server. Can you post a screenshot of your web browser with the VizAlertsDemo\AdvancedAlertsDemo viz and another screenshot with the ScheduledTriggerView viz so we can validate the settings?

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Can not get test alerts
                    sudhakar reddy

Please find the below attached screenshot you requested for.

test_alert error2.PNG

I tried providing default_allowed_recipient_address as same that i given in the below Vizalerts From Email and default_allowed_from_address as Vizalerts To Email as specified below.

Even then i'm facing the same error.

test_alert error1.PNG

Regards,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 7. Re: Can not get test alerts
                      Jonathan Drummey

Hi Sudhakar,

Your first screenshot is for the VizAlerts ScheduledTriggerView viz and it’s open in Tableau Desktop. What does the published version on Tableau Server look like? If it’s the same as what you opened on Tableau Desktop then you’ll need to edit the default_allowed_recipient_address and default_allowed_from_address parameters (or the calculated fields that use those parameters) and re-publish the workbook prior to running VizAlerts.

Just to be clear about how VizAlerts works when it runs, there are two separate views you need to configure and publish to properly test that VizAlerts is working, here’s a quick overview:

1) First VizAlerts downloads the ScheduleTriggerView viz to get information about what the trigger views are to send, the viz also contains configuration information such as the allowed to/from addresses. The error you originally posted is exactly what we expect to see when the ScheduledTriggerView viz has not been configured for your site.

2) VizAlerts then downloads the trigger views. If they are Simple Alerts (or a mis-configured Advanced Alert that VizAlerts interprets as a Simple Alert) then VizAlerts gets the image of the view and sends it. The VizAlertsDemo/AdvancedAlertsDemo is an example of a trigger view, and from the screenshots this looks like it’s been properly configured.

3) For Advanced Alerts VizAlerts compiles a list of all content references, downloads them, and finally sends the alert. The VizAlertsDemo workbook contains a set of views to be used for the content references.

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Can not get test alerts
                        sudhakar reddy

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks and now i'm getting a trigger mail.

can you please let me know where should i write the condition logic so that the mail is trigger based on the conditional logic i provide on my data.

Thanks,

Sudhakar Reddy

• 9. Re: Can not get test alerts
                          Jonathan Drummey

For a Simple Alert you’ll need to set up the conditional logic as a filter on the Filters Shelf (or potentially a data source filter) in the view that is being sent. For an Advanced Alert the conditional logic would go as a filter in the Trigger view. You can see a couple of examples in my post at https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2016/9/alert-alert-turn-conditional-subscriptions-one-click-tableau-101-59345 <https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2016/9/alert-alert-turn-conditional-subscriptions-one-click-tableau-101-59345>, they apply both to Tableau v10.1’s conditional subscriptions and Simple Alerts.

Jonathan