3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 8:18 AM by Norbert Maijoor

Edit Relationship: Problem in granularity

Fabio Guimaraes

Hi,

Here is my history and my problem:

I'm connecting Hour per Date in online connection with Google Analytics and Hour per Date in Excel file.

First I had to create a calculated field (DATEADD('hour',[StartHour],[Datum] )) to unified Date and Hour in my sources and after, I created a relationship between the Google Analytics and my Excel file using Data+Hour as a linking.

The problem is when I use Date+Hour of the Google Analytics and make a chart with two variables, I can see my sessions correctly but I can't see all channels of my excel file. Tableau shows a " * " (light blue)  as in my first picture.

When I use the Date+Hour of my Excel file, I can see all channels correctly but I can't see all sessions per hour as in my second picture.

My Goal is a dual axis chart showing an area chart of my sessions as in my first picture and circles per channels as in my second picture.

What is the problem here and how can I solve it?

Ps: I can't share this file.

Thank you

Snap 2016-11-22 at 09.55.20.png

Snap 2016-11-22 at 09.55.36.png

• 1. Re: Edit Relationship: Problem in granularity
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Fabio,

Your issue is that the data is not available on the same level on both Datasources. When you drag a dimension from the Google Analytics source this source will be your primary datasource with information on lower level which it is not able to match on that level in your secondary datasource Data Radio.. In other words it does not know how to allocate individual valures  against the dimension in the other datasours  and gives you the famous "*" symbol. When you drag a dimension from the Data source Data Radio it becomes the primary datasource on higher level which is able to math with the google analytics datasource but only on this "more aggregated" level leaving out the information on a lower level. The only way so solve this make info available on the same lower level in both datasources. Hope it's clear.

Have a nice one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edit Relationship: Problem in granularity
            Fabio Guimaraes

Hi Norbert

I thought that also but I don't know how to solve it.

I think that that GA data should be the first source and then the other sources would join this one but I don't know how to do it using a live connection with GA.

• 3. Re: Edit Relationship: Problem in granularity
              Norbert Maijoor

Hi Fabio,

Based on pica in post I think Data Radio should be the primary datasource. But be aware you only can report on a higher level in Tableau

1 of 1 people found this helpful