6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 12:19 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?

Arun Praveen Rangudu

1. Can the filter/drop down invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL) which will compute the metric value for the given selection (the selected values need to be passed as parameters to the script). I do not want to pre-compute all the possible combinations as there are potentially billions of such combinations possible. Also it is not a simple slice of the data; based on the values chosen in the drop down a complex set off algorithms will need to be invoked for calculating a particular metric.

2. If by any means we are able to invoke a back end script and the script writes back the data to a database table, can the results be refreshed on the dashboard post completion of the script? Will that be automatic or needs the Tableau dashboard to have an explicit refresh button?

• 1. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
          Bora Beran

You can do this with two sheets/dashboards.  Users fills out the one that computes results which writes to a file/database then switches to the second sheet after load completes which reads from that file or database. In some cases you may need to refresh the data in the second view to see the effects.

• 2. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
            Arun Praveen Rangudu

Hi Bora,

Thanks for the response.

When will the script (Python or R or SQL) to perform calculations be triggered? Is it triggered whenever the user changes the drop down or it needs to be triggered manually?

• 3. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
              Bora Beran

It will be triggered when user changes the drop down if auto-updates are on. If they are off, they either need to manually trigger updates or turn  on auto-updates. These appear as play-pause buttons on Tableau desktop and on server when in edit mode. If you want to show this in a browser when not in edit mode, you can put your own buttons and control using Tableau Javascript api which has methods to pause and resume updates.

• 4. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
                Arun Praveen Rangudu

Can you please elaborate on how to trigger an external script (say python) when a drop down on the Tableau dashboard is changed? Also, how to pass the selected values in the drop down to the python script?

• 5. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
                  Bora Beran

You can find out more about it in TabPy documentation page.

TabPy/TableauConfiguration.md at master · tableau/TabPy · GitHub

You can pass parameters also as arguments e.g. _arg1, _arg2 etc. as shown in examples but you will have to pass them as scalars as opposed to vectors which would mean for example _arg3[1] instead of _arg3. That's the only difference. If the Python calculated field (SCRIPT_ function) is being used in a view, changing any parameters that are being passed as arguments to the SCRIPT function will automatically trigger a refresh. If current selection of MyParameter is 'East' when you write a function like

SCRIPT_REAL("your python script here where you pass _arg1[1]", MyParameter)

the value 'East' will replace what is _arg1[1] in the script section and automatically refresh.

• 6. Re: Can the filter/drop down(on change) invoke a back end script (combination of python, R and SQL)?
                    Jonathan Drummey

re: the 2nd request for write-back and then refresh, I've tried this with R (the Python workflow is much the same) and the user experience (as a developer and interactor) is "sub-optimal", though I'm tempted to use a less polite word.

As an interactor, the challenge is that I do something (like enter a parameter value) and the view updates, however due to Tableau's order of operations the write back from Python or R happens *after* the query to the data source so to see the updated data I *must* do a second view refresh. In addition Tableau aggressively caches data (and once in awhile there's  bug there, for example 10.0.0 had a bug) so in my experience that second view refresh isn't 100% guaranteed to work every time.

As a developer I have to deal with the fact that *every* full view refresh for whatever reason (changing a parameter or a quick filter, using a filter action, etc.) is going to be calling that Python or R script, and depending on the view it can be challenging to identify whether I need to write back data or not. In the proof of concept I built for write-back (it was using a parameter and field values to add mark labels to a view) I just accepted that I was going to get a lot of replicated data and built the Tableau view to accept that, and the anticipated volumes were small enough that I could live with it. This just wouldn't work in a larger deployment. In addition if I'm writing back to a CSV file that is using Tableau's default connector then every time Tableau is actually refreshing from the file Tableau needs to rebuild the shadow extract and in large files this can be a huge performance hit.

At this time (November 2016) my recommendation is that if you want to enable some sort of interactivity in a Tableau viz that includes write back and display of the updated data you're better off using Tableau's JavaScript API where you can control the order of operations and view refreshes to give users the kind of experience that they expect from other applications.

Jonathan