9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2018 6:16 AM by Ghanshyam Manoj Erukulla

Tableau desktop usage reporting

Jeff Strauss

aruna.bala Phillip Millhollen  Glen Robinson Mike Ciance Emmet McCormack Toby Erkson

We are gearing up for an upgrade on Tableau to 10.1.x and would like to understand more about desktop usage reporting.

Some of this is to gain clarification and some of this is to rid of any possible mis-information from prior threads.

- Most analysts currently have Tableau Desktop 9.2.6 installed.  We will send them instructions for 10.1.x when we are ready to upgrade, but do they need to uninstall 9.2.6 first?

- Is it necessary to deactivate the license and then activate in order for license usage to take effect?  Or does this deactivation / activation just force the 8 hour checkpoint to occur immediately?

- What occurs when a user is on desktop for 5 minutes and then disconnected the rest of the day?  Does their desktop usage still get reported?

- What happens when an analyst is using Tableau desktop when disconnected from the network?  Does their usage get captured the next time they are connected to the network?

- When will the flexible interval setting be available?

• 1. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
          Toby Erkson

Jeff Strauss wrote:

aruna.bala Phillip Millhollen  Glen Robinson Mike Ciance Emmet McCormack Toby Erkson

We are gearing up for an upgrade on Tableau to 10.1.x and would like to understand more about desktop usage reporting.

Some of this is to gain clarification and some of this is to rid of any possible mis-information from prior threads.

1. - Most analysts currently have Tableau Desktop 9.2.6 installed.  We will send them instructions for 10.1.x when we are ready to upgrade, but do they need to uninstall 9.2.6 first?
          2. - Is it necessary to deactivate the license and then activate in order for license usage to take effect?  Or does this deactivation / activation just force the 8 hour checkpoint to occur immediately?
          3. - What occurs when a user is on desktop for 5 minutes and then disconnected the rest of the day?  Does their desktop usage still get reported?
          4. - What happens when an analyst is using Tableau desktop when disconnected from the network?  Does their usage get captured the next time they are connected to the network?
          5. - When will the flexible interval setting be available?

1.  No.  Multiple versions are allowable.  Personally, yes, I'd have them uninstall.  No big deal if not as it just creates a new folder anyway:

2.  No.  The activation (simply launching Desktop) will fire-off the checkpoint.

3.  The "update" happens when Desktop is launched.  It doesn't send a constant/periodic feed to the Server, thus you won't know how long they had it open, only that they opened it.

4.  Good question.  I doubt it queues the message but I really don't know.

5.  Not familiar with this

• 2. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
            Toby Erkson

Jeff,

This is the email I sent out to my users who have admin rights on their computer upon the first v10 upgrade.  Those that do not must rely on a "packaged" software load that they request.  That package gets pushed to their computer and installs for them.  If you are doing something similar then read this:  Deploy Tableau Desktop.  I believe that once the setup has been implemented that's it, there's no need to do it again because the info is kept in the Window's Registry.

-- Email Message --

This email is for those who are have administrative rights on their computer and can thus install their own software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- If you haven’t installed Tableau Desktop 10.0 yet then go here to download it (do not install it):

http://www.tableau.com/support/esdalt

- If you have already installed version 10 then please uninstall it and re-download it.

Open a command prompt as administrator (Shift + right-click):

Go to the folder where you downloaded the software (I moved mine to Desktop10Install after downloading it):

Copy the complete line below and paste it into the command prompt:

TableauDesktop-64bit-10-0-0.exe REPORTINGSERVER="http://Server1.com,http://Server2.com,http://Server3.com"

Execute it in the command window:

Done.  This will install Desktop 10 onto your computer.  You can close the command window and restart your computer anytime today that’s convenient.  I recommend doing it immediately so you don’t forget!

The purpose of this is to help us track registered licenses on the Tableau Server.

-- End Email Message --

Here's what it looks like from a real live server Notice that I have two installed version (tooltip is for the green, 10.0.1, mark).

You can also see that there are only 66 licenses registered...obviously some folks haven't installed our latest version or else those with admin rights ignored my email

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
              aruna.bala

Hi Jeff,

I am the PM for this feature and happy to answer questions. I notice that the wonderful user community has already replied back to some so some of these are confirmations.

1. - Most analysts currently have Tableau Desktop 9.2.6 installed.  We will send them instructions for 10.1.x when we are ready to upgrade, but do they need to uninstall 9.2.6 first?

Ans: No, versions can live side by side. Obviously you will only see 10.0.x and 10.1.x being reported.

1. - Is it necessary to deactivate the license and then activate in order for license usage to take effect?  Or does this deactivation / activation just force the 8 hour checkpoint to occur immediately?

Ans:   No need to deactivate and reactivate. You should see usage information in 8 hours. We had a bug fix in 10.0.3 that fixed reporting usage the           first 8 hours that we hadn't seen in house.

1. - What occurs when a user is on desktop for 5 minutes and then disconnected the rest of the day?  Does their desktop usage still get reported?

Ans: the next time the desktop comes back Online and is launched (makes contact with your Tableau Server,), the usage is reported.

1. - What happens when an analyst is using Tableau desktop when disconnected from the network?  Does their usage get captured the next time they are connected to the network?

Ans: Yes, see above

1. - When will the flexible interval setting be available?

Ans: We shipped the fix in 10.0.3 and it will also be available in 10.1.2.

Hope this helps.

Aruna

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                Jeff Strauss

thanks Toby.  All my users have admin rights.  And none of them have 10.x yet, so I plan on having them click on a packaged .cmd that has the following content:

\\xxxxx\Installs\Client_Installs\Tableau\TableauDesktop-64bit-10-1-1.exe /log "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Tableau_install_logfile.txt" ACCEPTEULA=1 REPORTINGSERVER="http://xxxx-dev.cnvrmedia.net"

• 5. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                  Jeff Strauss

Is there any best practice on the license interval check?  I know the default is 8 hours.

And without doing any deactivate / activate exercise, will we need to wait 8 hours to see if it's working?

• 6. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                    Jeff Strauss

aruna.bala

My co-worker upgraded his desktop to 10.1.1 (prior to Thanksgiving) and the usage reporting has not appeared as of yet within our dev server.  Why would this be?  Maybe he has to do a deactivate and then activate?

Is there any best practice on the license interval check?  I know the default is 8 hours.

And without doing any deactivate / activate exercise, will we need to wait 8 hours to see if it's working?

• 7. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                      Donna Coles

Hi Jeff - just going through a similar experince myself.  Have trialled it with a handful of colleagues so far with mixed results.  Observations so far

1. a colleague already with v10.0 installed, installed v10.1.1 side by side, and added reg key for reporting.  His record didn't appear even while waiting a couple of days..  He uninstalled v10.0 and deactivated/reactivated licence key in v10.1.1 desktop and record then came through immediately (no 8 hr delay).  His record on the report is 'green' for activate.  Other records for other people are grey for 'use'.
                      2. another colleague did exactly the same, but their record has yet to come through (48 hrs later), so need to investigate further.  Initial check of his log file suggested 'reporting server detected & valid'...
                      3. another colleague unistalled v10.0 before installing v10.1 and adding reg key.  His record came through fine (he didn't need to deactivate/reactivate).

So far out of 6 people I'm trialling this with, 4 have some through and only one of them without any intervention (no 3 above).  Something else I've noticed is the report says 2 perpetual licences when all 4 are the same licence type, all recently extended for another year...

It all seems a bit hit & miss at the mo and isn't going to give me the accurate insight I'm after (ie track down the people I don't really know about).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                        Jeff Strauss

I have 10.1.2 now installed on our dev box and also on desktop and desktop usage seems to be working now!!!!

• 9. Re: Tableau desktop usage reporting
                          Ghanshyam Manoj Erukulla

Hi aruna.bala ,

I see that you are the PM for this feature. Can you please let me know if the Tableau server backgrounder is going to be burdened by enabling this feature?

Thanks,

Manoj