1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 10:42 AM by David Li

Preserving table/dashboard setup when importing new data source

bobby.yee

Hi there,

I'm using Tableau Desktop Version 10.0 to build a packaged workbook template.  Each year, I need to import an updated cumulative Excel data file with additional records to report from.  There could be new variables added, variables removed, or variable names changed in the new data source.

In my Tableau template after importing the data, I have manually created Hierarchies and also renamed some variables to include the forward slash character "/" as the field name from the Excel data source doesn't come with it.

Attached is a dummy packaged workbook I created (example1.twbx).  My original data source is test_data_1.xlsx, and my new data source I want to import and overwrite is test_data_2.xlsx.

Questions:

• The original variable "Food" is now called "Snack" in the new data source.  How do I set up this up so the "Snack" variable is being referenced as the "Food" variable when importing the new data source.
      • Similarly if I was to manually rename the variable "Color" to read "Color/Shade" instead, how do I set this up so the "Color" variable in the new data source knows to reference it?
      • I've created a hierarchy called "Hierarchy" under my Dimensions list.  How do I ensure this hierarchy structure is preserved when I import the new data source?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Preserving table/dashboard setup when importing new data source
          David Li

Hi Bobby, the best way to ensure that your transition between data sources goes smoothly is to make sure to rename fields in your old source to their new names before you switch data sources. So basically, you would rename "Food" to "Snack". Tableau automatically tries to associate matching field aliases when replacing data sources. However, I'm not sure if there's a way to preserve your hierarchies. Maybe someone will know otherwise.