1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 12:20 PM by Jason McCann

TabJolt install error: Unable to write to TEMP environment variable

Jason McCann

Hello all,

When running the TabJolt install I receive a message "Unable to write to TEMP environment variable" (appears around the time postgres is being installed)

The install does complete successfully and I'm presented with the configuration screens.  I fill those out and attempt to run a load.

At first I receive a handful of errors:

C:\Tabjolt>go --t=\testplans\ViewInteractVizLoadTest.jmx --d=30 --c=1 --r=30sec1thread

[2016-11-17 08:19:32,856] Perf harness is started with parameters: --rootPath=C:\Tabjolt --t=\testplans\ViewInteractVizLoadTest.jmx --d=30 --c=1 --r=30sec1thread

[2016-11-17 08:19:32,997] Loading PerfTestConfig yaml file C:\Tabjolt\config\PerfTestConfig.yaml

[2016-11-17 08:19:33,059] Loading ServerTestConfig yaml file C:\Tabjolt\config\ServerTestConfig.yaml

Error   Unable to get instances for category Processor of host TABLEAU-SERVER. Skip collecting perf counters for the category. Exception Message: Access is denied

Error   Unable to get instances for category Memory of host TABLEAU-SERVER. Skip collecting perf counters for the category. Exception Message: Access is denied

Error   Unable to get instances for category Network Interface of host TABLEAU-SERVER. Skip collecting perf counters for the category. Exception Message: Access is denied

Error   Unable to get instances for category Process of host TABLEAU-SERVER. Skip collecting perf counters for the category. Exception Message: Access is denied

Error   Unable to get instances for category LogicalDisk of host TABLEAU-SERVER. Skip collecting perf counters for the category. Exception Message: Access is denied

-------------start collecting JMX counters--------------

Output File:C:\Tabjolt/results/2016-11-17_08-19-32/jmxcounter.tsv

-------------start collecting Zabbix counters--------------

Output File:C:\Tabjolt/results/2016-11-17_08-19-32/zabbixcounter.tsv

-------------start windows performance counters collection-------------

Output File:c:\tabjolt/results/2016-11-17_08-19-32/wincounter.tsv

INFO  [2016-11-17 08:19:35,259][main] (PerfRunHelper.java:347)   - -------------start Jmeter load test run-------------

INFO  [2016-11-17 08:19:35,259][main] (PerfRunHelper.java:348)   - Output file: C:\Tabjolt/results/2016-11-17_08-19-32/result-TABJOLT-SERVER-0.jtl

INFO  [2016-11-17 08:19:35,259][main] (PerfRunHelper.java:349)   - Command: [C:\Tabjolt/bin/jmeter.bat, , , , , , -n, -t=C:\Tabjolt\\testplans\ViewInteractVizLoadTest.jmx, -j=C:\Tabjolt/logs/jmeter_2016-11-17_08-19-32.log, -JthreadCount=1, -Jduration=30, -JloginWeight=1.0, -JconfigFolderPath=C:\Tabjolt/config/, -Jlogpath=C:\Tabjolt/results/2016-11-17_08-19-32/result-TABJOLT-SERVER-0.jtl, , ]

Created the tree successfully using C:\Tabjolt\\testplans\ViewInteractVizLoadTest.jmx

Starting the test @ Thu Nov 17 08:19:35 CST 2016 (1479392375904)

Waiting for possible shutdown message on port 4445

ERROR [2016-11-17 08:19:36,342][main] (PostgresDBHelper.java:55)   - unable to create connection with DB

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection to localhost:48123 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

at org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:252)

at org.postgresql.core.ConnectionFactory.openConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:67)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgConnection.<init>(PgConnection.java:216)

at org.postgresql.Driver.makeConnection(Driver.java:406)

at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:274)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.PostgresDBHelper.getInstance(PostgresDBHelper.java:47)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.DBHelperFactory.getDBHelperInstance(DBHelperFactory.java:29)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.ResultProcessor.<init>(ResultProcessor.java:103)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.perfRunHarness.Main.startPerfResultsSaver(Main.java:278)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.perfRunHarness.Main.runOneTest(Main.java:238)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.perfRunHarness.Main.main(Main.java:140)

Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.connect0(Native Method)

at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(DualStackPlainSocketImpl.java:79)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:172)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)

at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.<init>(PGStream.java:64)

at org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:133)

... 12 more

ERROR [2016-11-17 08:19:36,342][main] (ResultProcessor.java:105)   - Unable to get DB Helper instance

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection to localhost:48123 refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

at org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:252)

at org.postgresql.core.ConnectionFactory.openConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:67)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.PostgresDBHelper.getInstance(PostgresDBHelper.java:47)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.DBHelperFactory.getDBHelperInstance(DBHelperFactory.java:29)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.ResultProcessor.ResultProcessor.<init>(ResultProcessor.java:103)

at com.tableausoftware.test.tools.perfRunHarness.Main.startPerfResultsSaver(Main.java:278)

at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(DualStackPlainSocketImpl.java:79)

at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)

at org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:133)

... 12 more

ERROR [2016-11-17 08:19:36,357][main] (Main.java:286)   - Failed to process perf counters and run result.

... 12 more

INFO  [2016-11-17 08:19:36,357][Thread-1] (PerfRunMonitor.java:37)   - Starting Perfrun monitor thread

Then the test looks to run and complete without issue.  However, when I try to open the PerformanceViz my password is rejected; using the credentials listed in PerfTestConfig.yaml.

I've attempted to uninstall and reinstall.  I've also installed TabJolt on another machine but end with the same result.  I've confirmed that my user can write to the directory listed in the TEMP environment variable. 

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: TabJolt install error: Unable to write to TEMP environment variable
          Jason McCann

I found the "Unable to write to TEMP environment variable" error stemmed from McAfee blocking part of the Postgres installation.  I uninstalled and deleted all tabjolt directories, postgres, and Tableau.  Then disabled McAfee and installed Tabjolt (Postgres installed successfully with no "TEMP environment" error) and Tableau.

I'm still unable to access performance monitor on the server from the Tabjolt box, but at least I'm capturing Tabjolt data...I can view the perfmon stuff manually until I come across the solution to that.