5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 1:17 PM by Amber Smart

Profession and Baptism

Ryan Eckhoff

I am working on putting together a process for our church that will help us walk along side a person as they take their next step with Jesus following a 'Profession of Faith'. One of the 'next steps' we want them to take is to be baptized. My suspicion is that very few people who make a 'Profession of Faith' are being actively discipled and informed of their 'next step'. With that said, I am hoping to put together a visual that will show the need for this.

What I want to see is the COUNTD of people who have made a profession of faith (52) and of those 52 who also have the attribute of 'Baptism - Stonebridge'. In addition to this, on a separate worksheet I would like to see a by name listing of those who have made a profession of faith and have NOT been baptized. Although for security, in this example the Dimension 'Individual ID' will replace the name field.

• 1. Re: Profession and Baptism
          Brandon Ohlaug

Hey Ryan,

Have you tried setting an index = 1 and then using table calculations to pull out the max (WINDOW_MAX)?  Without seeing how the data is structured it is hard to see how I would pull in the attribute.  I believe what I am referencing will give you the first in the list.  You may have to create a numeric value for 'Baptism - Stonebridge', where 'Baptism - Stonebridge' then 1 else 0, and do a WINDOW_SUM on it.

• 2. Re: Profession and Baptism
            Ryan Eckhoff

Brandon Ohlaug thanks for the response. You note that, "without seeing how the data is structured it is hard to see how I would pull in the attribute". Is there a way that I can provide you this information? I assumed that when I attached the .twbx that it would let you view any necessary info.

And as a point of clarification, when I am use the word "attribute" in my original post I am using it to define an event/character trait in a person.... not as a Tableau function "ATTR".

• 3. Re: Profession and Baptism
              Amber Smart

Hey Ryan! Depending on how you want to visualize the data, this formula will at least allow you to filter the individuals who have one or both:

Step 1: Create a calc field that creates a column with a numeral value when the conditions are met:

max(if [Attribute] = 'Baptism - Stonebridge' and [Number of Records] > 0 then 1 else 0 end)

+

max(if [Attribute] = 'Profession of Faith' and [Number of Records] > 0 then 1 else 0 end)

Step 2: Filter the Individual ID based on the above calculation = 2 (to find those with both)

Or you can Filter the Individual ID based on the above calculation does not = 2 (to find those missing one). Then only select the attribute you want to see they do have.

I am seeing 15 people who have both attributes. I've created several tabs as experiments to show how you could visualize the data.

Hopefully this helps?

• 4. Re: Profession and Baptism
                Ryan Eckhoff

Amber Smart Thank you! The way you visualized this process is great! I never used the "Condition" filter before, so this was a great learning opportunity for me to learn more about that. Thanks again for your heart to serve in this capacity. You are making a difference in many organizations other than your own!

• 5. Re: Profession and Baptism
                  Amber Smart

No problem! Happy to help if I can.