6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 4:23 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Rolling Trends Question?

Drake Bradley

Hello All!

I'm pretty new at Tableau (v10.0), and while I've looked at these forums for guidance quite a bit I've never posted. So if there's anything that I can do to make future questions more clear or if I'm posting in the wrong place please let me know!

So I have a sales dashboard which we give to our customers at the beginning of each month to update them on various metrics. One part of that is an "Upcoming Three Month Sales Trend" worksheet. The goal is to show customers what their most purchased products were for the upcoming months during the previous two years. So for example, if I were to have pulled this report in October of 2016, it would show their most purchased products for October, November, and December of 2014 and 2015. For November, it would be November, December, and January. The goal is to give them an idea of what products they might need to anticipate stocking in the next couple months.

Now, it works as I currently have it setup, but due to my inexperience it's poorly constructed and it leads to wasted time every month. You can see an example of the current setup in the attached workbook, on the worksheet entitled "OCT16 Example". There are two primary problems that I have that I'm trying to rectify to increase efficiency:

1. Every month I have to manually change the Month(Invoice Date) filter to reflect the changing months. This becomes significant when doing ~50 dashboards on the first business day of the month. For about half of the customers I can use a single workbook and change a Customer Parameter, but the other half of my customers have special exceptions that require their own unique workbook. Changing the filters for each one of those adds up quickly
      2. I have the columns set to show the years, 2014 and 2015, but now that we're rolling into a new year it's getting messy. With the filter system, at this point it's pulling data from Nov '14 to Jan '15, and then Nov '15 to Jan '16. Which means that not only do I have three year columns, but each year has a different number of months associated with it, so it's much less meaningful

If possible, I'd like to learn how to create a calculated field that will automatically pull data for two time frames relative to the current month (I believe 9-12 months and 21-24 months prior?), and then display those two time frames in just two columns. If the two column thing isn't possible I can adjust the dashboard, but I'd like to keep it for simplicity and consistency's sake if I can. The "3 Month Trend" worksheet in the attached workbook was an unsuccessful attempt at doing so, but I figure I should ask you all for your thoughts instead of bashing my head into a wall for the next few weeks. I would appreciate any advice that anyone could offer!

I hope you're doing well!

Drake