9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 1:25 PM by Vincent Baumel

Request views on my visualizations

Manasi Agarwal

Hi

I did a series of visuals to find out the 'safest state in the US'

My data includes crime data for the years 2001-2010 with certain crime categories such as murder, robbery and assault.

Please share your views on my visualizations. The workbook is attached.

Kindly suggest what else I can do.

Thank you

Regards

Manasi Agarwal

• 1. Re: Request views on my visualizations
          Vincent Baumel

It's not letting me open it up. Looks like there might be a problem with your data. Could you save it as a .twbx and try again?

• 2. Re: Request views on my visualizations
            Manasi Agarwal

Hi Vincent

Thank you for your reply. I hope the twbx version works.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards

Manasi

• 3. Re: Request views on my visualizations
              Manasi Agarwal

Hi

I have posted my work on Tableau Public.

Workbook: Info Vis Project V4- Complete Workbook

Let me know if you can view it.

Regards

Manasi

• 4. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                Shesil Parmar

there is some issue with workbook. please reupload

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                  Vincent Baumel

Okay, I'll put a list together of ideas/challenges, and you can try to address them in whatever creative way you like! These points are specific to the Story you put together, since that seems to be the primary focus of

• Story points are a great way to guide a user through a narrative, but there doesn't appear to be a strong story you're trying to tell here. Is this a ranking? Are you trying to encourage the user to consider moving to a safer state? Are certain states getting safer over time? Start with a story title, and go from there.
                  • The map is a good way to start, but keep a couple things in mind. First, Louisiana and Illinois are spelled wrong in your data, and that's why they're not showing up in the map (hence the "2 unknown" indicator). Also, I don't know what units make up the "overall crime rate". Is this the number of crimes? Number of crimes per 1,000,000 people? Alaska looks huge and terrifying (sorry Alaskans!), but when the population is factored in perhaps its not as bad. Maybe consider a calculation that weighs in population, to make it a more fair representation. I'd also float Alaska and Hawaii in their own worksheets, then reposition them in a dashboard to bring into the story.
                  • The treemaps can be useful in some circumstances, but on their own it feels incomplete. There's quite a bit of white space below them, and the color scheme could use some work. For an example, use the Highlight State feature (nice touch, by the way) in the Robbery Rates to search for Vermont. Since Tableau reduces the opacity of the other states, it just washes the whole thing out. A treemap is already showing the difference between states via size - further showing the difference with color can become redundant and, in this case, unusable.
                  • Why do I only get a highlight feature on one of the treemaps?
                  • The scatterplots are confusing the heck out of me. With the assault vs murder rate chart, I can see that size indicates something, but the legend title is incomplete. Be careful with your use of color here - I can't determine why the states are colored differently. Regarding the whole set of scatterplots, when the Pages animation starts it totally loses meaning. The trail lines should be used sparingly, and I'd suggest removing them in this case. By the time we get to the year 2010 I can't tell much of anything.
                  • Overall, I'm not sure what to do with this. There's no clear action for me to take, and the information isn't being presented in a way that makes it clear whether one state is safer than the others. The map would suggest that South Carolina is the most dangerous state, the treemaps show California to be the most dangerous, and the scatterplots show certain outliers besides those.

I think you've got a good data set, and I see that you're willing to use several different tools to tell your story. The effectiveness of one visualization type over another is particularly important with this kind of data, so make your selections with the consideration and respect they warrant. There's an impactful and important story to tell here - try to find a story that captures the bad AND the good. Maybe that's a state who has seen big reductions in crime recently through new legislation, maybe it's evidence that living in more rural areas yields a reduction in crime, maybe it's that overall murder rates are going down...who knows. It's your job to find that story, and communicate it effectively. If someone is considering moving and they consult your report before deciding which state to move to, you've got a pretty big responsibility to do it right! You're ambition is there, you've just gotta tell the story.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                    Manasi Agarwal

Hi Vincent

Sincerely appreciate your detailed feedback. Since I am new to Tableau, this feedback is priceless for me.

I will incorporate as much as I can.

I just have one question: Do you think the treemaps are useful here? Would you suggest I change the type of visualization?

Thank you once again!

I will re-work and re-upload, just in case you have time to see my work If not, it's totally fine. 

Regards

Manasi

• 7. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                      Vincent Baumel

I think of treemaps in the same way I think of bubble charts. On the    >>useful------------pretty<<     scale, they weigh heavier towards pretty. After all, once your domain gets big enough (and the range of whichever measure you're using gets wide enough) there will always be tiny little rectangles in the bottom right corner that you can't make out or gain insight from. In your example, you will always have a domain consisting of every state in the US. As an analog to your data set, here's a treemap of the population of each country in Europe (according to the World Indicators data source that ships with Tableau):

I chose this because it has 48 countries, comparable to the 50 US states. Even when I'm including the measure directly in the viz (population in this case) it becomes hidden below a certain threshold. I personally have some ancestry from the Isle of Man, but who's to say where that ranks compared to other countries?  If we compliment this chart with something like a crosstab and remove the color gradient, we can do a more effective job at comparing or ranking our domain. You could show it this way instead:

This way you could quickly find a specific country in the alphabetical list, or see how the countries rank against one another by the bar chart. There's a ton of different ways to do it, but always remember to start with the most basic question: what am I looking at? With your project, you're trying to show the US states and which ones are safer or more dangerous than the others. Find the simplest way to tell your story, and start from there.

Hopefully this helps, and gives you some ideas on where to go!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                        Manasi Agarwal

Hi Vincent

Thanks a million. I have tried my best to implement your advice.

Here is the revised version, though it is still WIP

https://public.tableau.com/shared/KZ2QWR29M?:toolbar=no&:display_count=yes

Once again, I would like to thank you for all your effort and time.

Means a lot to a beginner like me.

Regards

Manasi

• 9. Re: Request views on my visualizations
                          Vincent Baumel

Feedback is what makes this community great. Thanks for reaching out!