5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 8:56 AM by Chrissy Scott

Extract is eating my data

Chrissy Scott

Hi All,

I have a data source that has about 13k records. When I connect to the data source thru a live connection, I see my 13k records.

When I create an extract, my data disappears and I'm left with 7 rows. No filters applied to the extract.

Can anyone tell me what on earth is going on?

Thanks,

Chrissy

• 1. Re: Extract is eating my data
          David Li

Hi Chrissy! If I remember correctly, were you the one that had another issue with extracts maybe a month ago? If so, did you solve that issue?

Are you sure you're not including any data source filters or extract filters? I tried opening your packaged workbook, but you'll need to extract the data source before packaging it in order for it to properly be stored inside the package.

• 2. Re: Extract is eating my data
            Chrissy Scott

Hi David,

It's very likely that you remember me from another extract question. We've been struggling with appending data and connecting with ODBC... We're muddling thru!

I've reattached the workbook here with the extract. I'm certain I'm not applying any filters to the extract. I simply right-click the data source, click Extract Data and then click OK. But, I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this if it means I can use the data!

Thanks for your help,

Chrissy

• 3. Re: Extract is eating my data
              Matthew Risley

Chrissy,

I don't have access to the Data Source tab from your attached workbook as it's saying I would need to connect through the ODBC.

What i wanted to check was: When you click the Data Source tab and bring in your data to the data window (after doing all necessary joins) did you click the "extract" tab and not "live"?

It seems so simple but I've missed this multiple times and makes a difference.

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Extract is eating my data
                Chrissy Scott

Hi Matthew,

It's been a while, but to answer your question.

I've tried it several ways. I connect to the data, then go to a sheet and drag number of records to the view. I see 13,000. Then I right-click the data source in the upper-left corner and select Extract Data. I don't add any filters, just click okay. And once the extract is created, I suddenly have 700 records.

Or, I click Extract on the Data Source tab (as you've shown above). Again, I apply no filters, not to the live connection or to the extract. There are simply no filters happening here. But, when I'm switched to the extract, I experience data loss.

Any other ideas? I'm experiencing this issue again.

Thanks,

Chrissy

• 5. Re: Extract is eating my data
                  Chrissy Scott

Hi All,

Here's an update. It's been about 4 months since the original post and I'm having the issue again with a different data set (several different data sets in fact). I connect to the data source with a live connection, go to sheet 1, drag number of records to the view. I have 24000 records. I right-click the data source, select Extract Data and click okay. There are no filters applied, not to the live connection, not on the extract. There are simply no filters, here. When I'm switched to the extract, I end up with 11000 records.

What I've noticed, however, is that if I unjoin the tables, and extract data from individual tables, there's no data loss. I'm using a left join so there's no reason the join should eliminate data.

Next, I tried converting my data source to SQL. Same issue: Live connection is good to go, extract loses data.

I've opened a support ticket with Tableau, but I'm hoping someone here might have a solution? Or just anything I can try? I'll try anything!

Thanks,

Chrissy