2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 8:51 AM by Jonathan Cooper

Sum Time greater than 24 hours

Jonathan Cooper

Hi Guys

I need to work out the times that people have been working, so I have a date and time field for when they started and a date and time field for when they finished.  Ive worked out how to make the total time show as a time so 4 hours 30 minutes shows as 04:30:00, however when I sum it all up (eg to see what the whole team has done)  whenever this time exceeds 24 hours its just shows the time after the 24 hours eg if the total time is 28 hours and 30 minutes its shows 04:30:00...how do I make it show 28:30:00

Any help appreciated, I can post my calcs but they aren't anything special.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Sum Time greater than 24 hours
          Chris Beck

jonathan,

in this case normalize all of your aggregations at the minute level. if i worked 8 hours and 23 minutes today, I would have worked 503 minutes. If the rest of my team worked those same hours (6 people) our total minutes would be 3018 minutes. divide this total by 60 and you will get 50.3 hours

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sum Time greater than 24 hours
            Jonathan Cooper

Hi Chris

Yeah that's how ive ended up doing it.  I did ideally want it to show it as a time eg 50:23:00 or something like that instead of 50.3 hours though.  I've done some serious googling today and come to the conclusion that it cant be done unless you break it up and make it into a string which I don't want to do.

Tableau really does have some glaring omissions on standard stuff.

Thanks anyway