2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 11:54 AM by Swamy Boggarapu

Tableau desktop connection to BW with SAPGUI 740 doesn't work

Yongbiao Chen

Hi

I am pretty new to Tableau. I am trying to connect Tableau Desktop to the BW server. SAPGUI version is 740 and there is no SAPLOGON.INI file, because the file has been converted to SAPUILandscape.xml since SAPGUI version 740. so I cannot just set environment variable SAPLOGON_INI_FILE.

I can't select any BW connection with Tableau desktop.

***ODBO driver has been installed, and I am able to use SAPGUI and BEx analyzer to login BW system.

does Tableau support BW connection with SAPGUI 740 which doesn't have SAPLOGON.INI anymore? if yes, how can I get the BW connection list in Tableau?

Thanks and regards

Yongbiao Chen

• 1. Re: Tableau desktop connection to BW with SAPGUI 740 doesn't work
          Dmitry Chirkov

Are you using same windows account to run Tableau and SAP Logon?

• 2. Re: Tableau desktop connection to BW with SAPGUI 740 doesn't work
            Swamy Boggarapu

Hi Yongbiao Chen,

I have also encountered the same issue. As mentioned under 'Additional Information' of the below KB document from Tableau, it seems, Tableau can't connect to SAP BW using the 'SAPUILandscape.xml' file and it would need SAPLOGON.INI file to connect to SAP BW system.

I have implemented the below steps and able to successfully login to SAP BW system from Tableau.

1. create a 'SAPLOGON.INI' file with SAP BW system details. ( you can refer an existing logon.ini file as template ).
            2. Set up a new environment variable 'SAPLOGON_INI_FILE' on your computer ( Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System settings --> Environment Variables --> New )
               with location of 'saplogon.ini' file as 'variable value'.
            3. Open Tableau and connect to SAP Netweaver BW system.

Hope this will be helpful.

Thanks.

Swamy