5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 7:57 AM by Chris Beck

Compare two numbers wrt time

qamar zaman

Hi All,

I have a data set of import recods of different firms. I want to make a final table to show change in number of recods compared to last time.

Sample date is attached.

Thanks

Qamar

• 1. Re: Compare two numbers wrt time
          Chris Beck

Hey Qamar,

This is relatively straightforward to accomplish. I see you attached an excel file, have you tried putting this in Tableau yet?

The Quick Table Calculation of difference should do the trick.

• 2. Re: Compare two numbers wrt time
            qamar zaman

Hi Chris Beck,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did the same, but i dont want to see all the dates and null values.

I want to prepare a table, where changes (difference or % difference) will be displayed compared to last time only. i.e one value per Firm.

• 3. Re: Compare two numbers wrt time
              Chris Beck

Here you are. There are multiple steps to this. I am walking you through all of them below. I have also attached a 10.1 workbook if you want to follow along.

Here is the finished product.

Our first step is to sort the date descending

Step 2 is to create the index() field. Notice that the index() field is between Firm and Date and is set to compute using specific dimensions. We need the index to be set for each date and firm.

Filter the index() on 1 & 2

Next, we need to build the difference calculation. Since the difference will be a table calculation, we are going to use the lookup function. And since we will be comparing the first date to the next date (first references the order in the table) we will use the offset of 1.

Last, hide index value 2 and hide the header for index field

Answer

• 4. Re: Compare two numbers wrt time
                qamar zaman

Hi Chris Beck

Thanks for your detailed reply. I tried the same but still not get the same output as you have.

for index, i did not have sortOrder option as in your case

And this looks also strange,

• 5. Re: Compare two numbers wrt time
                  Chris Beck

hi qamar,

what seems so strange? your data is sorted by date and in comparing your last circled area we are comparing 28 to 831 which is 97% lower. so that all looks good. dont worry about the percentages underneath as you will just hide index2 value.