3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 6:33 AM by Igor Sharko

Tableau reader can not open files referencing an external data source.

Igor Sharko

I am not able to open Tableau Workbook file from the Tableau reader 10.1 which data source is MSAS (MS Analysis Services).

The error says:

"Tableau reader can not open files referencing an external data source."

I can open the same file in tableau Desktop with no issues.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Tableau reader can not open files referencing an external data source.
          Sarah Ebreo

Hi Igor,

To open a Tableau workbook with Tableau Reader the data source must be a local file. This file is typically a flat file (Excel or .csv) or if using a relational data source connection, an extract (.tde) of the data source is created to save the data locally. The flat file or extract is saved with the workbook as a packaged workbook (.twbx) and can be opened by Tableau Reader.

Because the MSAS data being used is referencing an external data source (it is not a flat file or an extract) the workbook cannot be opened in Tableau Reader. Currently it is not possible to create an extract when working with cubes like MSAS. To work around this, one option is to use a local cube file (.cub) instead of connecting to a remote cube file on a server.

1. Create a local CUB file
          2. Connect to the local CUB file with Tableau Desktop (see step 1.1 here http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#examples_msas.html)
          3. Build your workbook and save as a packaged workbook

If connecting to a local cube file, you should be able to save the packaged workbook and open it in Tableau Reader.

I found an open idea to allow Tableau extracts for cube data sources. You can add your vote here: https://community.tableau.com/ideas/2272

Hope this helps!

Sarah

• 2. Re: Tableau reader can not open files referencing an external data source.
            Rekha Kesavan

Hi Igor,

For the Tableau Reader to read the Tableau file, it should be a packaged workbook (twbx). So below are high level steps

1. Create an extract of the Data source (If the file is huge, ensure to hide the unused Dimensions/fields or put filters when extract the data as this will reduce the extract size)

2. After designing the workbook with all visualizations, save the file as package workbook with .twbx extension

• 3. Re: Tableau reader can not open files referencing an external data source.
              Igor Sharko

Hi Rekha and Sarah,

Thank you very much for your responses. The strange thing is that it worked in Tableau Reader version 9 just fine and stopped working when version 10 came out. I got in touch with Tableau Support and they said the same thing you told me but when I submitted an evidence that it used to work they got surprised and said they will look into it more closely. Meanwhile I will try your suggestions and see it will work for us. Thank you again for your help.