My problem is that I need to compare 2 lists (i.e perform a vlookup) within 1 Data Source.... yes I know what your thinking.... vlookups... hasn't that been solved in many previous posts already......
The reason for this post is that I can't seem to find any answered previous discussions in the Tableau forums that achieves this in 1 Data Source.
I can only use 1 Data Source as it is Google Analytics (GA) data, ie all data is in 2 columns and I would need to repeat this process 20+ plus times for all the vlookups I need to do and don't want the mess, pain or risk of error that comes with 20+ Data Sources.
I have created a dummy Excel Data Source (attached) that is similar to the GA Data Source for ease of this post. Below is a screen shot of the data. I have also attached the test Tableau workbook I am using.
My goal: Use Tableau to work out if a user is a New User or Returning User based on how many Avatars they have created.
Assumption: A New User is a User ID that has created 0 Avatars where a Returning User has created 1 or more Avatars.
My Attempted steps to achieve this:
- I create a list of all unique User ID's, this is displayed on the attached Tableau workbook in sheet Home Screen Logins by User ID.
- To get this list I have a Calculated Field called HomeScreenUserId that pulls the list of User ID's out of the Value column where the Action column = Home Screen.
- I create a list of Unique User ID's that have created an Avatar, this is displayed on the attached Tableau workbook in sheet Avatars Created By User ID.
- To get this list I have a Calculated Field called AvatarsCompletedUserId that pulls the User ID out of the Value column after the comma where the Action column = Avatar completed Successfully.
- What I want to do now is in sheet Home Screen Logins, have a boolean: NewUser? field that identifies Yes if a User ID has not created any Avatars and No if they have. I would do this in Excel by performing a vlookup on the AvatarsCompletedUserId Calculated Field however not sure how I achieve this in Tableau unless I create a duplicate Data Source.
If you are able to help or have a better way to attack this problem I would be eternally grateful and can repay you in kind thoughts and good vibes
Replicated GA dummy data: