8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 7:12 AM by Toby Erkson

Trouble opening files

Jennifer Gaskill

Very new to Tableau; a co worker left last week and I've been given all of her projects, so excuse my ignorance. I'm having trouble opening dashboards unless I go through Tableau to do so; clicking a link or file in Windows explorer doesn't seem to work. It's a nuisance for me, but having to explain to management "open Tableau, then click here, then here..." is a pain. Seems to be an issue with both Tableau 10 and Reader. Any ideas how to fix? Tried Googling, but I don't know enough of the lingo yet. (Tableau seems to have it's own language and terminology)

• 1. Re: Trouble opening files
          john.christopher

Hi Jennifer,

Left double Clicking on the report should open the report.See how mouse properties are set up.

Regards,

JC

• 2. Re: Trouble opening files
            Jennifer Gaskill

You'd think so, but nope. Double clicking the file, URL, hyperlinks, etc. Nothing works unless you open it within Tableau.

• 3. Re: Trouble opening files
              Jeff D

Hi Jennifer, try reinstalling and see if that solves the problem (file associations are set up by the installer).

• 4. Re: Trouble opening files
                Dmitry Chirkov

Reinstalling Tableau would help but you can also follow a guide like this: How to change the default program a file opens with in Windows 7

You need to associate couple of extensions (*.twb, *.twbx, *.tds, *.tdsx plus few more) with Tableau which is something like C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 10.0\bin\tableau.exe.

• 5. Re: Trouble opening files
                  Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Jennifer.

Addition Dmitry Chirkov comments, if you have more than 1 tableau version installed, then if you open new version file with old version tableau desktop or reader, it will not allow you and gives an error message unless you go to newer version and open from it. So, either you have uninstall older version (if you don't need it anymore) or change default program to open Tableau related files with newer version like C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 10.0\bin\tableau.exe as Dmitry instructed above. Hope any of advice here helps you.

Sherzod

• 6. Re: Trouble opening files
                    Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Jennifer

It has been almost two weeks since your question was answered, I just wanted to check back with you if solution provided here answered your question or not. If yes, please mark as correct answer or as assumed answer if you find your solution so that it is cleared from question board that needs to be answered as well as other users in future can benefit from it. If not, please feel free to ask for help. I appreciate your help on that. Thank you.

Sherzod

• 7. Re: Trouble opening files
                      Jennifer Gaskill

Still trying to figure it out. I passed along the suggestion to reinstall to our IT dept, but they said they checked & everything was installed correctly. Thanks anyway.

• 8. Re: Trouble opening files
                        Toby Erkson

Jennifer Gaskill wrote:

...I'm having trouble opening dashboards unless I go through Tableau to do so; clicking a link or file in Windows explorer doesn't seem to work. It's a nuisance for me, but having to explain to management "open Tableau, then click here, then here..." is a pain. Seems to be an issue with both Tableau 10 and Reader...

Installing Tableau would take care of this automatically.  Since it is failing for both Tableau products, to me, it sounds like your company has some IT policy that is not allowing the file associations to be set.

1. What operating system are you using (Windows or Apple)?
                        2. What version of Tableau are you using?

Here's one way you can associate Tableau to a file type:

tab_file_assoc.gif

You'll notice that I already have the file association made but it's no big deal to redo it   If Tableau already exists in the list of Recommended Programs then just select it and you're done, otherwise you continue on using the Browse button.  You can also look in the list of Other Programs, however, if you have multiple version of Tableau then it may be confusing as to which one to select since Tableau does not place a version value with the icon

2 of 2 people found this helpful