4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 8:36 AM by Nathan Panuco

Server overwrites serverAddress in workbooks

Tomas Yanez

I have a server deployment with the following configuration:

URL: public.company.com (via reverse proxy)

Machine Name: tbserv-production

Tableau Server Version: 10.0.1

Windows Server 2012 r2

SSL: YES

2 Nodes.

When I build a new worbook to publish to the server and connect to a published datasource I use the URL as server address to connect and publish. (cannot use internal address because SSL is on)

The problem happens when I need to download the workbook for offline editing.

When I open the worbook after download, can't connect to the datasource.

When I click to edit the connection I notice the server address is not the public URL but the machine-name

When I replace the given address to the public URL, ask me to login. After login in, I get back to the dashboard with no chance to connect, even if you try to edit the connection or anything.

The Sign In button do nothing. So I get stuck here.

• The only workaround I found is edit the .twb file with a text editor and replace

from:  <connection channel='https' .... port='443' server='tbserv-production'

to:   <connection channel='https' .... port='443' server='public.company.com'.

then it runs smoothly.

Important:

This started happening when I added a worker to the main server, before this, everything was ok.

Can anyone give me some directions on what to do to avoid that Tableau server change the server address when I publish.

• 1. Re: Tableau server overwrites serverAddress
          Toby Erkson

Tomas, given the nature of your issue I moved it to the Server Admin forum.  You should have better luck getting it answered here.

• 2. Re: Tableau server overwrites serverAddress
            Nathan Panuco

Hi Tomas!

After reading through your post, I understand your issues is opening a workbook downloaded from Tableau Server after adding a worker to the cluster. SSL and a reverse proxy is being used. I don't know exactly what is the cause, but I have a few thoughts involving routing. For a more in-depth review of this case, you may want to open a case with Tableau Technical Support: http://www.tableau.com/support/request

Here are some questions that generate other questions or ideas where the issue may originate:

• What Tableau Server address is used to connect to the Tableau Server to download the workbook?
            • Does the new worker node have a Gateway process?
            • Is the reverse proxy accounting for the new Gateway?
            • If the new node does have another Gateway process, does removing it allow the workbook to be downloaded and connect?

Thanks and hope this helps!

• 3. Re: Tableau server overwrites serverAddress
              Tomas Yanez

Hi Nathan, Thanks for your quick reply.

There's a case for this (02457631) and I've just had a Webex with Noel from support.

• What Tableau Server address is used to connect to the Tableau Server to download the workbook?

To connect tableau server and download the workbook I use the public URL. (public.company.com)

• Does the new worker node have a Gateway process?

Nope

• Is the reverse proxy accounting for the new Gateway?

No new gateway

• If the new node does have another Gateway process, does removing it allow the workbook to be downloaded and connect?

No new gateway.

I think it may be a bug of the server.

• 4. Re: Server overwrites serverAddress in workbooks
                Nathan Panuco

Hi Tomas:

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad Noel got your case - he's a great! Looks like he pointed you to the article I was thinking of also (Unable to Connect to Published Data Sources When Opening a Workbook Downloaded from Tableau Server | Tableau Software) but I can see from your follow-up message to him that did not resolve your issue. If adjusting gateway.public.host didn't change anything, this will likely need a more in-depth analysis looking at Tableau Server logs and likely a trace using Fiddler. Noel will follow-up with you via email - we'd love to hear back on what ultimately resolved this issue so that others are able to learn as well.

Thanks!