2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 7:18 PM by Sherzodbek Ibragimov

What determines the contents of a crosstab exported to excel?

Connor Harle

I put together a chart, and I want people to be able to easily export the data to excel. There are fields that I want to appear in the crosstab but not in the chart, so I added them to the tooltip in the marks card. When I look at the underlying data, it shows all the information I want to see in the crosstab. However, when I export the worksheet to crosstab, measures that are no longer in the viz (they were previously in the tooltip as well, but I have since removed them) appear, but not some of the newer measures that I've added. I quit and restarted Tableau and that didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Or does anyone know another way to influence the fields in the crosstab export?

It's quite obnoxious, and selecting all the data points to view/copy the underlying data isn't a user-friendly enough option for my purposes.

• 1. Re: What determines the contents of a crosstab exported to excel?
          Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Conner,

I did test how Tableau copies data as crosstab. Look at scenario below:

As you can see, even though, Tooltip is empty, and view has only Segment and Sales, when i copied and pasted to excel, I got Profit as well. Looks like, whatever is also located in Marks card will be also included in cross tab.

However, to get nicer crosstab export to Excel, you may want to create one your original data and second without anything but your desired data as cross tab in other sheet and bring them in the dashboard as seen below. Now, when you copy, you will copy from only from second sheet that has only user friendly and related field.

i hope it helps to answer your question.

Sherzod

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What determines the contents of a crosstab exported to excel?
            Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Connor,

It has been almost two weeks since your question was answered, I just wanted to check back with you if solution provided here answered your question or not. If yes, please mark as correct answer or as assumed answer if you find your solution so that it is cleared from question board that needs to be answered as well as other users in future can benefit from it. If not, please feel free to ask for help. Thank you.

Sherzod