6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 2:14 AM by Nikunj Bhardava

Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?

Damith Gunasekara

Hi All,

Can we place an image in the row header instead of pane area in a worksheet in tableau desktop?I went through discussion forum (Re: How to add one KPI Column to data table ) where it mentioned to use calculated field to add an arrow mark to the row header.Instead of  arrow mark can i add a customized image to the row header in a sheet?

Thank You,

Damith

• 1. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
          Akriti Lal

Do you want to add image as below ?

For doing this, you just need to create a calculated filed "indicator" with the logic as below and put it in shape as shown above. If this is your question and this resolves your query , please mark this as "Correct Answer" else provide further clarification so that it can be looked into.

Thanks

Akriti

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
            Nikunj Bhardava

Hi Damith,

Can you explain exactly what do you want to show? if possible describe your question with mock-up image.

Also, attach .twbx workbook so that anyone can take a look to your data.

Thanks,

Nikunj

• 3. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
              Damith Gunasekara

Hi Nikunj/Akriti,

I have attached a sample workbook (Buttons_with_icons.twbx), there i have used ship modes as buttons to filter the profit chart. I have included both icon's and header name (Ship mode text's) in the filter to show the published dashboard behavior in tableau online.

When published to tableau online clicking on ship mode text header refreshes only the profit chart whereas clicking on icons next to text headers refreshes the whole page.

I need to have icons instead of text headers as filters in the dashboard and clicking on icon filters should only refresh the profit chart. Currently clicking on icons refreshes the whole page whereas clicking on Ship mode text's (row headers) refresh only the profit chart, which is the reason I’m trying to have icons  as row headers.

Thank You,

Damith

• 4. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
                Nikunj Bhardava

Hi Daimith,

First of all i don't think we can use icons as row header. we need to use the same thing that you have did. i.e using shape to show different ship modes.

I seen your problem and yes you are correct, on tableau public it is refreshing whole the dashboard instead of profit chart only when clicking on the marks instead of header.

I played and it seems tableau's default behavior but as an alternative, instead of using filter action you can use hover action.

Publish attached modified workbook and check on tableau public. I will definitely let you know if i can found exact solution

Thanks,

Nikunj

• 5. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
                  Damith Gunasekara

Hi Nikunj,

Thank you for the information.I checked the updated workbook in tableau online and as you have mentioned when using hover option only the target worksheet gets refreshed.I intend to use buttons with select option instead of hover option where i can click on the button and move the cursor away and still be able to view data in the dashboard for selected filter value.Please let me know if you find a solution/workaround .

Thanks,

Damith

• 6. Re: Can we place an image in the row header of a sheet?
                    Nikunj Bhardava

Ah, that might be tricky damith, because I believe when we are clicking on any marks (detail area - marks like bar,shape,text and any other), it will refresh whole tableau dashboard. still I will definitely look more into it and let you know if I found any solutions.

Thanks,

Nikunj