3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 11:37 AM by Amber Smart

Help With Bins

Ryan Eckhoff

I am working to put together a visual that would allow our Finance Team and Elders to see how many times people make a contribution to a specific fund in a given fiscal year. In essence, what is the giving frequency of most people at Stonebridge? I have figured out how to visualize this on an individual level, but would like to group the data into 'bins' of 3. People who have given somewhere in the rage of 1-3 gifts, 4-6 gifts, 7-9 gifts, etc.

I am aware that you can right click and select "create bins", however, this does not show up as an option for the calculated field I created. I then tried to create a 'bin' with the "Number of Records" field and failed.

Any help on how to show the results summarized into bins would be very helpful!

• 1. Re: Help With Bins
          Amber Smart

Hi Ryan! Does this work for you?

First - I created a calculated field that counts the number of gifts FIXED at the giving unit, fund, and year level.

{FIXED [Giving Unit_ID], [Received_Date (Years)], [Fund]: count([Amount])}

I was then able to bin that calculation by 3.

The level of detail calculation I have above may need to be tweaked depending on the level of aggregation you are wanting to give the user.

I hope this helps! You could always go the route of writing a calculation that manually defines the bins, too. Info on that here: Creating Variable Sized Bins | Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Help With Bins
            Ryan Eckhoff

Amber,

Thank you very much for your reply! Having others help troubleshoot issues like this I have found to be very encouraging.

As someone who has a degree in something other than data analytics, you will have to forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. I entered in the calculated field as you provided it and it came back as containing errors because it was not liking the addition of "(Years)" with the Received_Date dimension. If I take (Years) out, it says it is valid. Also, I was a bit confused as to the addition of the [Amount] field, since the intent of this visual is not to say anything about the amount they gave, but rather how often people give. To discern this, my understanding is that using the Amount field should not be necessary. Previously I was trying to achieve this by counting how many times the Giving Unit_ID occurred, thus telling me how many gifts they made.

Also, instead of building it into the calculated field, could I filter date a date range through the "filters" section?

• 3. Re: Help With Bins
              Amber Smart

Sure! I created a custom date on the received date to define the year. You should see the new dimension under the original date field. To do this, I simply right clicked on the original date field > create > custom date. I then selected 'Years'. This created the field that I then used in the fixed LOD calculation.

With the use of [amount] field, I am simply counting the amounts. I went this route in case someone could make several amounts under 1 transaction ID. Otherwise, yes, you can use Number of Records, too.

If you don't use the date field in the LOD calc, it will impact the results because we are telling it to be FIXED on the household and fund, so even if you filter on the date, it will still be a fixed calculation on those 2 dimensions. The date needs to be included int he LOD calc or try changing your LOD calculation to be INCLUDE instead of FIXED. Here is a good explanation on the difference: Overview: Level of Detail Expressions

Does this help any?