4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 7:55 AM by gene shackman

Incomplete knowledge base response

gene shackman

This KB posting about swapping measures, is interesting, but seems incomplete, unless I'm not understanding.

Swapping Measures Using Parameters | Tableau Software

Step 2 says

Step 2

From the Data pane drop-down menu, select Create Parameter.

I went to the data pane, I didn't se a drop down menu, and I couldn't get to "Create parameter"

I -could- get to a drop down menu on "Dimensions", at the down triangle next to the mag glass. So maybe the instructions in the above KB could be revised?

Similarly, on this help entry about data panes (I think you have to cut and paste to get the whole link)

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/v10.0/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#environ_workspace_datawindow.html?Highlight=data pane

it says the data pane has several areas, one of which is the parameters.

I didn't see a section of the data pane called parameters. See above. I -can- get to parameters if I click on the down arrow next to dimensions.

Am I reading these things right? Are there a few small errors in the KB and the help doc, or am I misunderstanding these docs?

• 1. Re: Incomplete knowledge base response
          Srinidhi Narayan

The sets and parameters areas will appear once you create at least one of those items - via the drop down menu that you allude to.   If I am not mistaken, they do not appear when they are empty.  

• 2. Re: Incomplete knowledge base response
            gene shackman

Well, but step two says to select "create parameter". I couldn't select "create parameter" because I couldn't see that option in a drop down menu. So how am I supposed to create a parameter if I don't see the option to create a parameter?

Step 2 says

Step 2

I went to the data pane, I didn't se a drop down menu, and I couldn't get to "Create parameter"

• 3. Re: Incomplete knowledge base response
              Srinidhi Narayan

Gene,

Are you able to see the following?

parameter.png

Alternatively, you can right click any dimension, and get to an option to create a parameter/set/calculation/etc.  However, going this route will create one with the selected dimension in context.  This can of course be removed.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Incomplete knowledge base response
                gene shackman

I -can- get to create parameter from the dimensions, but that isn't what the instructions say. They just said

Step 2

which is why I'm saying the instructions are incomplete. They -should- say

Step 2

From the Data pane, go to the dimensions drop-down menu, select Create Parameter.

Since they didn't say that, I wasn't sure whether I was doing it right. If they had said that, then I would be more sure I was doing it right. But, that isn't what they said.