3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 3:09 AM by Glen Robinson

Add user name in tableau server -Active Directory

kevin antony

Hi Team,

I want to add the username ,password in tableau server .

But I am not aware of user password as its Active directory and sso .So How I can done in tableau server

• 1. Re: Add user name in tableau server -Active Directory
          Glen Robinson

Hi Kevin

Is your Tableau Server using Active Directory authentication? If this is the case then you dont need to know the password. Just create the user, and when the user enters the password Tableau will check the password with the Domain controller.

Hope this helps

Glen

• 2. Re: Add user name in tableau server -Active Directory
            kevin antony

Hi Glen

Thanks for the update!

But server is using local so how we can enter the password for the user.

Regards,

Kevin

• 3. Re: Add user name in tableau server -Active Directory
              Glen Robinson

Hi Kevin

If you are using Local Authentication, then there is no relationship between Tableau and Active Directory.

Therefore you are able to create whatever usernames and passwords you want to.

If you want your users to have the same usernames and passwords as their AD, then you have the following options (i think)

1. Create user account in Tableau to match their AD account. Create a dummy password. Let the user know these details, and ask them to change the password in Tableau to match their AD password. Every time their password changes in AD, they will then have to change it in Tableau to 'keep it in sync'

2. Re-install Tableau to use AD authentication, so that the users login to Tableau using their AD account. You then dont have to worry about password changes / etc

Hope this helps

Glen