7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 3:06 PM by Brook Bisrat

Parameter Navigation Buttons?

Brook Bisrat

Hi All,

I have two dashboards in particular that I want to change, one is a navigation page that has buttons for several companies. These are all companies that have data displayed on the second dashboard. I want to be able to be able to click on a button for a company (let's say company A), and it takes me to the second dashboard - displaying company A's data on this second dashboard. I could also click on company B  (on the first dashboard) and it would direct me to the second dashboard were I would see Company B's data. So basically whatever company I click on (A,B,C,D,E,F,G, etc), I would get directed to the second dashboard and see that particular company's data.

I also want to create two buttons on the second dashboard. One on the top left hand side and one on the top right hand side, these buttons would allow you to scroll from one company dashboard to the next.

So lets say I am on the first dashboard and I click company A, it directs me to the second dashboard and I am able to see company A's data. From here (now on the second dashboard) I can click on the navigation button on the top right hand side and it would direct me to company B's data. I could click the top right hand side button again and it would now take me to company C's data OR I could click on the navigation button on the top left hand side and it would take me back to company A's data.

How would I create something like this?

Thanks!

Shawn Wallwork

• 1. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
          praveen p

Hi Brook,

You can do this using dashboard actions

please find below screen shots

1. When we click on Category wise sales it will take us to next dashboard where it displays sub category wise sales for particular category

2. When we click on back button it will take us back to category wise sales dashboard

3. When we click on sub category wise sales it will take us to next dashboard where it displays customer wise sales for particular sub category

Thanks

• 2. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
            Brook Bisrat

Thanks! This is close but not exactly what I am looking for!

Think of it this way. In your Category Sales Dashboard. You would have a

button for each of the categories. So you could click on Furniture, Office

Supplies or Technology, and it would take you the Sub Category Dashboard

filtered for that particular category.

So in this example if you had a button to click for Furniture on the

Category Sales Dashboard it would take you to the Sub Category Dashboard

only showing you the Sub Categories for Furniture.  (If you filter sheet 2

for Furniture, you will see that the sub categories for Furniture are

Bookcases, Chairs, Furnishings, and Tables.)

Secondly the Sub Category Sales Dashboard would have a forward and a back

button. However, these buttons would keep you on the Sub Category

Dashboard, and would allow you to go back and forth between the different

Categories. (Furniture, Office Supplies or Technology) So basically instead

of a filter or a dropdown filter (or in addition to a filter) you would use

the buttons to scroll between the sub categories.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:27 PM, praveen p <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

• 3. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
              Brook Bisrat

Adam McCann Adam McCann Shawn Wallwork Matt Lutton Jonathan Drummey Tracy Rodgers kettan Toby Erkson

I think using an action as a filter on the dashboard would work, but won't that apply to the same dashboard? Do you all have any ideas? I'm stumped and pushing for a deadline!

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
                Toby Erkson

Brook, please don't ping a list of people like this.  We respond to posts as we can and if appropriate for what we do, for example, I deal predominantly with Server so I am of no help here at all.

• 5. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
                  Brook Bisrat

Oh sorry about that. I just googled top people who answer questions on this forum, and all of your names popped up.

My apologies.

• 6. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
                    Shawn Wallwork

[Toby thanks for this. So glad I deleted my less polite response.]

Brook welcome to the forums! Posting a sample packaged workbook is the best way to get our attention. I personally browse the forums and try never to answer questions that aren't well explained and don't include the necessary information to provide an answer. Packaged workbook is my first clue that you're serious about getting help.

As Toby mentioned, a list of names just let's me off the hook -- I assume someone else will answer, and I move on to other questions.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 7. Re: Parameter Navigation Buttons?
                      Brook Bisrat

Thanks Shawn, sorry about that. I appreciate the help.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Shawn Wallwork <