2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 4:53 PM by Gyongyver Giday

Refresh workbooks on Tableau Server

Gyongyver Giday

I uploaded a data source as an extract (tdsx) on the Server connecting to a MySQL database. The Tableau workbook is uploaded as a twb file with live connection connecting to the data source. When updating the database and the data source, the workbook doesn't update automatically, even though underlying data is updated and I manually need to press the Refresh button each and every time, until the "refreshed view" is saved. What is the reason for the workbooks not automatically refreshing? I tried Chrome and Safari and even removing cached data. 

• 1. Re: Refresh workbooks on Tableau Server
          Toby Erkson

As an FYI, what is cached on the Tableau Server can make a difference depending upon the Caching setup in the Tableau Server Configuration tool:

Gyongyver Giday wrote:

...When updating the database and the data source, the workbook doesn't update automatically, even though underlying data is updated and I manually need to press the Refresh button each and every time, until the "refreshed view" is saved. What is the reason for the workbooks not automatically refreshing? ...

I don't understand exactly what the issue is, so...

When viewing a workbook from the Server it will not automatically update unless you refresh it using the Refresh button.  This is because the Server servers up what I'd call a snapshot of the report, it's not a real-time report that is connected to the Server and polled continuously.  If this is what you are expecting then you need to set up a process that programmatically refreshes the report.  A search for a Java script in the forums will get you multiple results on achieving this.

If this is not what you're expecting then please clarify.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Refresh workbooks on Tableau Server
            Gyongyver Giday

Many thanks. I think it solves my issue.